Essay on Inability to Sleep or Muscle Fatigue... Need to narrow!

brian78

I'm doing my EE on Biology and I was thinking of something to do with the inability to sleep or muscle fatigue... I'm really interested in these two topics but I can't seem to fix them into a suitable Extended Essay title... Does anyone have any suggestions? Please?

Any responses will be very much appreciated as I have no idea where to start right now. Thanks!

I'm doing my EE on Biology and I was thinking of something to do with the inability to sleep or muscle fatigue... I'm really interested in these two topics but I can't seem to fix them into a suitable Extended Essay title... Does anyone have any suggestions? Please?

Any responses will be very much appreciated as I have no idea where to start right now. Thanks!

We can't give you an essay title based just on a general topic, although we can give you feedback on your title and ideas when you come up with something a little more specific.

My suggestion is that you research both of those areas and see what information you can find. Usually people come across something which particularly interests them whilst researching and can then formulate a plan for their EE, in my experience. The only thing I would say is that to score well, although it's not a rule as such, there's a high correlation between science essays which include an experiment and the top grades. In other words, to be safe, most people put an experiment in as well, because that seems to increase the likelihood of top marks.

There are of course limitations on experiments, especially when it comes to experimenting on people, which both of these might involve. It's very hard to control variables, there're ethical questions behind doing anything on people which you'll have to have thought of thoroughly and generally it's difficult to do because you have to have a decent sample size (i.e. you'll have to think about the logistics, such as finding sufficient volunteers). So that's something to think about too.

Finally, I'd read the Subject-Specific section of the EE guide if you haven't already! It's got some useful snippets in it :hug:

Hope that helps a little.

I didn't read what Sandwich said to be honest, but before you find a title, I think it's important to make sure you can actually write an extended essay about it, which means having enough data.

Something you should consider, your idea of inability to sleep doesn't seem to me that it comes under biology. You are going to be investigating the factors that cause this inability, which are more likely to be psycological, don't you think?

Don't forget that you need have an investigation done since it's an experimental science:

The nature of an extended essay in biology

is characterized by a particular biological emphasis within the more general context of a scientific

investigation.

A biology

extended essay should, therefore, incorporate biological theory and emphasize the essential nature of

this subject.

Essays that deal with human diseases represent a particular case in point, as these can often be dealt

with from a number of perspectives (such as biological, medical, social or economic).

These are taking from the EE guide that you already have a link to.

Something you should consider, your idea of inability to sleep doesn't seem to me that it comes under biology. You are going to be investigating the factors that cause this inability, which are more likely to be psycological, don't you think?

There are biological factors which cause inability to sleep which would be worthy of investigation. I think I read a bit of a book about it once, but there are conditions and various chemicals in the brain associated with insomnia, sleep disturbance and whatnot. Just they'd very difficult to investigate with nothing more than school equipment and budget! xP

Yeah that was my point, the factors that can be easily investigated are the psycological ones, at least much easier than the other factors. Besides, apparently it's not allowed to do an investigation that would cause hard or even unnecessery 'stress' to any human being, which may include causing them to suffer from insomnia. So perhaps if you really want to do this topic you should put it under psycology rather than Biology.