Body Mass Index

afitz

Right now I'm sort of stuck at the constraints for the equation (Using a sinusoidal equation). I have the range, but I'm stuck at what the domain should be I don't know if I should go [0, Average life expecatancy of women in 2000], or [0, Oldest woman alive in 2000] If people could give their reasonig behind this that'd be great too.

Right now I'm sort of stuck at the constraints for the equation (Using a sinusoidal equation). I have the range, but I'm stuck at what the domain should be I don't know if I should go [0, Average life expecatancy of women in 2000], or [0, Oldest woman alive in 2000] If people could give their reasonig behind this that'd be great too.

Nevermind I already made up my mind and the paper's due tomorrow anyways.

Well, I used the first one. I picked 4 values and thus I had 4 variables and 4 equations. I solved them and I got my new equation. Where is your problem explaining the step?

Well, I've got another question. The portfolio asks in the end

"Use the Internet to find BMI data for females from another country. Does your model fit this data? If not, what changes would you need to make? Discuss any limitations to your model."

Does anyone know where I can find BMI data? I couldn't find any so far.....

I just found somewhere else on this site someone who had used the data from the following website. seems ok! :)

http://www.unu.edu/unupress/food2/uid02e/uid02e0e.htm

Ahh... not good. Did I do this wrong? I used a Sin function to model it, then using technology I got a better Sin function (that actually fit pretty much perfectly). I didn't mention anything about a 3rd degree function. Can I still get full marks with that?

Ahh... not good. Did I do this wrong? I used a Sin function to model it, then using technology I got a better Sin function (that actually fit pretty much perfectly). I didn't mention anything about a 3rd degree function. Can I still get full marks with that?

I don't think so, cause it said find another function that models the data. I think i means different type.

• 2 weeks later...
When it says, "what type of function models the behaviour of the graph? Explain why you chose this function. Create an equation that fits the graph"

is it possible to model it with a linear regression? Would it be wrong?

I am not entirely sure what a regression is (or if i do it is by a different term) but i found it quite easy to use a sinusoidal function and a polynomial function and then i said that the polynomial wouldn't work at all because it only models really accurately for a short period of time and then completely inaccurate for any other values.

(hope this helps)

I am not entirely sure what a regression is (or if i do it is by a different term) but i found it quite easy to use a sinusoidal function and a polynomial function and then i said that the polynomial wouldn't work at all because it only models really accurately for a short period of time and then completely inaccurate for any other values.

(hope this helps)

oh regression means "line of best fit"

But anyways, I used this function because it seems to be the easiest to create an equation for it manually, since we aren't exactly supposed to 'use technology' for that particular question. I'm not sure if it's acceptable :D

Thanks for your help~!

we were just assigned this portfolio and im stuck on finding a function... looking through all of this, ive seen most people put either polynomial, cubic, or sine, correct? but how do i come up with these formulas? and whats the reasoning for the 3 of those?

pleaseeee help !

Thats the whole point of the assignement. If we tell you how to do it, then whats the point of doing it in the first place?

Hey all :D

I've been trying to find some past IB SL Type II math papers and the ones I've found have been ridiculously long.

How long (number of pages) was your BMI task?

Roughly 20 pages cause my graphs were huge, but my teacher says that less than 10 pages can get you a very high mark as well.