How difficult is French SL?

It's challenging, but not that hard. I did the same thing (went from "core french", which never teaches you anything, to French SL) and I've managed alright. It is my lowest mark in IB, but it's only a 5, which isn't bad. You just have to really work at it if you want a good mark.

I personally like french, so it wasn't too bad for me. My advice to you is to work on your oral skills by speaking a lot, and listening to french music. Otherwise, your school should prepare you well enough for the written. Just do lots of practise exams and write a 250 words piece of writing after every unit, genre depending, if your teachers don't do that with you already. The teachers at my school are pretty bad, so you should be ok.

I do French, and I haven't done it for 2 years. I'd done it from y7-9 and took it up for IB in y12 because there were so few people doing IB. I find it okay, I agree with the others: speaking is the hardest. With the written, you just need to focus on grammar and extending your vocab after each unit. My vocab is appalling.. what I would also suggest is get a french book that you're familiar with in English (or whatever your mothertongue is). For me, I am quite familiar with Harry Potter so I got the first one in french and german to help me with my B languages >.<

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't difficult. French B SL is approximately the same difficulty as the core French of the Canadian curriculum. You should have no trouble adjusting. Just don't slack off. Buy a bescherelle and start learning how to conjugate irregular verbs NOW. Once you've got the grammar down, read French, listen to French, breathe French. Haha. You should have absolutely no trouble getting a 6 if you work hard. I managed to get a 5, even though I slacked off the whole year and didn't learn anything from my French teacher (who was incompetent as ****).

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know whether or not it is easier than the AP French Exam? My teacher is preparing us for both but since we're a pure IB class (her other class had one IB student and all others, AP), we do different things and some of the things are IB and some AP.

We practice grammar and practically spent 12 weeks doing environmental stuff (from the IB book she has). I don't feel prepared for my exam though. Are there past IB exams online that I can practice from or download? (More worried about Paper 2 than Paper 1.)

For my Oral, I did Phantom of the Opera because I loved the movie and was going to see the musical the week after the oral. Spoke for a full 12 minutes. (tiring and started panicking at the end because I thought I was going to be repetitive in the things I say. (Luckily my teacher switched the topic).