Group 4 project help - Biology HL

thatguy

I really need help with my group 4 project. My class' projects had to involve a nearby river. My partner and I decided that we would take soil samples from the river itself and some from the surrounding area. Then we planned to grow 5 plants in each type of soil and see which supported life better by measuring biomasses before and after. Unfortunately, due to recent flooding in the area, the soil was a bit messed up: our samples from within the river turned into clay in about 3 weeks and the samples from the surrounding area were sand. Needless to say, the plants from the sand died in about 2 weeks and the plants from the clay died in about a month and a half.

We basically have no conclusive data. We tried to perform an addendum in which we tested how quickly water could travel through each soil sample so that we could have data to show why the experiment didn't work.

I was planning on writing in the sources of error that we were unaware of the area's soil type (the area is fairly far away) but our experiment required that we get soil from those areas. However, my teacher said that that would indicate lack of research. I'm not sure what to do now and the whole experiment is due in about a month.

Hmm, it sounds like quite a quandary. Maybe you could discuss how the length of time they lived relates to the ability of the plant life in the ecosystem to recover after a flood, or try to find some other real-life application that actually relates to the flooding and feed off that.

Sorry, I don't know if that was much help. Good luck with the lab!

• Like 1

Hmm, it sounds like quite a quandary. Maybe you could discuss how the length of time they lived relates to the ability of the plant life in the ecosystem to recover after a flood, or try to find some other real-life application that actually relates to the flooding and feed off that.

Sorry, I don't know if that was much help. Good luck with the lab!

Actually, that could very well be a solution. I'll definitely look into this. Thanks a lot!