BNM or econs? need help

I will be joining IB soon. I have all of my subjects except for one. I have one SL subject left to decide for which I am considering either business & management or economics.

My other subjects are as follows:

HL - Maths, Physics and Chemistry

Sl - English, Hindi and ________

So, please help me to decide.

Hi Arun,

Have you checked the other thread on this same topic (It is stickied in this forum).

It is always difficult to advise someone on choosing between two topics. What interests you more?

Economics has a broader scope, in terms of looking at global economic theories. It touches on the indicidual family, and the firm, but the focus is more wide, and global. It is also a more theoretical subject. It generally is seen as "better" when looking for university acceptance (but not in all cases, and it depends on what and where you want to study!)

Business and Management is a topic that looks at the reasons for starting a business, the general approach/way to get a business going, and then in depth at the major facets of running and growing a business. It looks at businesses from the typical Mom&Pop's convenience store, to the mega-multinational corporation, and the topics include efficient running, marketing, financial analysis and people management.

If you have more detailed questions, or can give us more info about you, your interests and dreams, future studying plans, and ideas towards future careers.

David

• Like 3

Hi there, this may not be too useful but I would go for Business and management/ I had been doing most of IB 1 and 2 in Higher level business, and decided to drop to Standard level business as i had four highers. When I made the drop I found the decision to being one of the best decisions I have made in IB. the structure and ease in which one is able to study and learn in this course is amazing as there isn't that much to know and that there isn't much knowledge, besidescommen sense to do well in this cousre- but it does take work to learn the material. another plus to it is that there is virtuallylittle to no relianceon athimatical skills :D (i'm good at maths but found it to be a hinderence to learn the terminology that had to go into the formulas.....)

anyways good luck with your IB choices and wish you all the best!!!

Cheers,

A$H

Hi Arun,

Have you checked the other thread on this same topic (It is stickied in this forum).

It is always difficult to advise someone on choosing between two topics. What interests you more?

Economics has a broader scope, in terms of looking at global economic theories. It touches on the indicidual family, and the firm, but the focus is more wide, and global. It is also a more theoretical subject. It generally is seen as "better" when looking for university acceptance (but not in all cases, and it depends on what and where you want to study!)

Business and Management is a topic that looks at the reasons for starting a business, the general approach/way to get a business going, and then in depth at the major facets of running and growing a business. It looks at businesses from the typical Mom&Pop's convenience store, to the mega-multinational corporation, and the topics include efficient running, marketing, financial analysis and people management.

If you have more detailed questions, or can give us more info about you, your interests and dreams, future studying plans, and ideas towards future careers.

David

I would rather choose a subject more practical than theoretical. And I am better at analyzing and decision making. Plus, I have been thinking to pursue engineering and architecture as my career in future. So, I think business & management would be a better choice. Anyways thank you for your help.

Hi there, this may not be too useful but I would go for Business and management/ I had been doing most of IB 1 and 2 in Higher level business, and decided to drop to Standard level business as i had four highers. When I made the drop I found the decision to being one of the best decisions I have made in IB. the structure and ease in which one is able to study and learn in this course is amazing as there isn't that much to know and that there isn't much knowledge, besidescommen sense to do well in this cousre- but it does take work to learn the material. another plus to it is that there is virtuallylittle to no relianceon athimatical skills :D (i'm good at maths but found it to be a hinderence to learn the terminology that had to go into the formulas.....)

anyways good luck with your IB choices and wish you all the best!!!

Cheers,

A$H

I think that business will also suit my HL subject selection which i mentioned earlier. And by looking at your experience I think it ll be perfect for me too since my ain't bad too :) Thanks for the help

Edited by sweetnsimple786
You can use MultiQuote when replying to multiple posts or just use the edit button to add more to your post.