Valid IA Lab Idea for HL Bio?

ABC123456

My teacher has suggested this following lab as one of our IAs. A lot of us are doubting if it will be seen as a good IA idea in the eyes of IB, probably because it seems so simple.

The idea is to test the effect of a solute or solutes on the surface tension of water. I think we intend to test it by using droppers and drop water onto a coin surface until the water tension breaks.

This sounds so simple; is it even a valid lab?

Mm labs don't have to be complex. Do you know about the different criteria you're assessed on? This lab won't incorporate all of that, but it can be used for data collection or even design, if you're designing it. We have to have lots of lab hours, but not all of them are accounted for through reports. This lab might count for half an hour or something. It's simple yet interesting. I don't know what the effect would be. I suggest you take it seriously and do it thoroughly. From research to procedure to analysis, whatever part you'll be doing.

Simplicity is the key :D

trust me when I say this. I had a lot of problems trying to do complex things like: Observed Enthalpy change in the germination of an avocado seed over a 24 hour period (not practical even because of enzymatic processes but just saying. Off the wall).

That is a rather simple lab on its own, however the explanation should be sophisticated. Talking about hydrogen bonding, intermolecular forces (as well as Intramolecular cause of hydrogen bonds), surface tension, adhesion, cohesion and concepts of pressure and perhaps temperature under the ideal settings (the last 2 are minor contributions).

So as you can see, a simple task has turned a bit complicated.

You will find throughout your experimental projects, simple projects with a great deal of detail treatment will earn you a very high score. Your teacher is essentially also grading these. so try to get a perspective of what she would like on there. Email her really good details. I know several stoichiometric things I would include, but its up to you to figure it out as well.

best of luck. your teacher is absolutely correct. Simple and easy, done elegantly :D

• Like 1