Question about a source for my HI?

Emkay

My topic is on slavery and the Civil War. One of my primary sources is an interview. But this interview was conducted in 1984 with a former black slave... and I found it in a book. Is this fine to use with the proper citations?

I have no idea why my teacher commented on the draft to recheck this source stating it would have been 120 years old... when really the interview is 26? Maybe its just a misunderstanding on her part? I wanted to make sure anyway, thank you.

Edited by Emkay

Yeah, I think it's a misunderstanding if the interview was conducted in 1984. But I am a little incredulous that this person was a former slave and was alive and well enough to give an interview in 1984. Isn't that almost 120 years after African Americans became citizens?

Ooh. I finally understand what she meant by 120 years. I was staring at it like... o_o. I didn't connect the dates and only thought she meant the interview was 120 years old. The book was published in 1984 then the interview was when the guy was 81 years old in 1937... that makes more sense.

Thank you! :D

Edited by Emkay