T.O.K - Chess - An Area of Knowledge?

Angad_Amarth

hey guyz,

I need this for my ppt and essay... Is Chess an area of knowledge?? If not, can someone please tell me which category it would fall in?? I really need your help...please revert soon

Thanks,

Angad_Amarth (Any Amon Amarth Fan??)

hey, 'chess' isnt an area of knowledge according to the ib, if thats what you're asking.

indeed there can be chess knowledge: learn basic basics and then learning

being a avid chess player myself, i would say its a combination of maths/arts

maths: obviously the rational side to calculating moves. However, arguably its not a science since it doesn't use the scientific method.

arts: there can be a lot of beauty associated with certain positions/games. much like how a proof in maths can be "beautiful". i remember a quote from an artist/poet who said that chess is a freer version of art/poetry where theres less limits or something like that

• Like 2

hey guyz,

I need this for my ppt and essay... Is Chess an area of knowledge?? If not, can someone please tell me which category it would fall in?? I really need your help...please revert soon

Thanks,

Angad_Amarth (Any Amon Amarth Fan??)

hey, 'chess' isnt an area of knowledge according to the ib, if thats what you're asking.

indeed there can be chess knowledge: learn basic basics and then learning

being a avid chess player myself, i would say its a combination of maths/arts

maths: obviously the rational side to calculating moves. However, arguably its not a science since it doesn't use the scientific method.

arts: there can be a lot of beauty associated with certain positions/games. much like how a proof in maths can be "beautiful". i remember a quote from an artist/poet who said that chess is a freer version of art/poetry where theres less limits or something like that

Hey,

Thanks a lot for the confirmation. I had a feeling to because it blends a number of areas of knowledge as well has every way of knowing in plenty. I used it in my presentation and it went quite well with the examiners... Thanks again... by the way, do you play online chess?? we could play you know, its fun.

Edited by Aboo
No text speak! - Aboo