HL German B or HL English A1

slizzie

Hello everyone!

Currently I have been taking four HLs, although now I think I've taken on too much, especially because I am doing a music diploma on top of IB. I originally took four because I couldn't decide which one to take a HL. So which do you guys find easier? A HL language B or Hl English A1? Which do you think is easier to score a 7 on?

It is easier to score a 7 on German B HL only if you speak german very well. You do not have to be fluent in german to score so well, but I personally think that it is easier. Really though.. if you compare language A1 to language B, there is quite some difference there. I would advice you to consider the universities that you will apply to, maybe they will require one of the two as HL or maybe you will be given more credits in university to HL subjects. It is relative and specific and every situation. But it is definitely easier to score a 7 in language B than language A1.

My teacher in English A1 constantly reminds us that she, during her 15+ years of teaching in IB, has given less than 10 students a 7 in English A1. It is one of the hardest subjects to get a 7 in. If you want an easier 7 I suggest the German B HL; on the other hand, if you want to challenge yourself, pick English A1 HL. ^^ Just my opinion! Hope you make up your mind!

Edit: Take note of the significant difference in terms of level between an A1 language and a language that is only in B level.

Edited by kimmiii

Hello everyone!

Currently I have been taking four HLs, although now I think I've taken on too much, especially because I am doing a music diploma on top of IB. I originally took four because I couldn't decide which one to take a HL. So which do you guys find easier? A HL language B or Hl English A1? Which do you think is easier to score a 7 on?

If English is your native language, you may well do better in HL A1 :) But as the previous poster pointed out, it really depends on where you've been educated and where YOUR strengths lie, especially with languages where it's up to personal aptitude. In the UK, it's easier to get a 7 in English than in a B language (for some reason, English is already taught to IB standard for at least two years pre-IB, so it's not hard to get 6-7 in it because it's basically just GCSE analysis... again... in a slightly different format with different texts). Therefore it's easier, especially if you have low aptitude for foreign languages! :D

Why not ask your teachers what they think? Look at your school's record for A1 scores and B scores and work out whether you're in a school where A1 is (mysteriously, IMO) difficult or not and so on, then decide based on that. The past will tell you lots! As I spot you are English, if you got an A* in English Lit., definitely pick English A1. If you feel naturally talented at German, or struggled with GCSE English for whatever reason, pick that.

I have no idea about whst the track record is because I am the first cohort of IB to go through my school. Though I live in England now, I didn't do GCSE's I did Australian School Certificate in NSW. I am quite good at both subjects and enjoy them both, so it's fairly difficult to decidde :). Of course it's easier to get a 7 in a B language if you're fluent, but I've only done germsn for five years. Perhaps I shall see whether any other similar schools in England have a bad track record with English, although I think my teacher's good. :P

If it were me, I'd definitely got for A1, simply because it's a language you're fluent in. I've been taking Spanish for 5 years, and I'm struggling in SL language B (and mind you, I'm one of the best students in the class; we've just had really horrible teachers up til now...). I find that English A1 is probably the easiest course for me, simply because so much of what you write is opinion-ish, or at least more so than any Language B exam, so it makes it a little easier to BS your way into a better grade, whereas in Language B, it seems like there are much more concrete grading guidelines.

I have no idea about whst the track record is because I am the first cohort of IB to go through my school. Though I live in England now, I didn't do GCSE's I did Australian School Certificate in NSW. I am quite good at both subjects and enjoy them both, so it's fairly difficult to decidde :). Of course it's easier to get a 7 in a B language if you're fluent, but I've only done germsn for five years. Perhaps I shall see whether any other similar schools in England have a bad track record with English, although I think my teacher's good. :D

If your teachers can get the A Level people to an A standard, which nearly all English teachers can, you can assume that as the track record. Even if you didn't do the GCSE, which to my knowledge is most similar to IB English, they should be well equipped to coach you :)