Chemistry EE on caffeine extraction question

Simus

Hey Everyone,

I have to submit my EE proposal in less than a week and I am still not entirely sure about my topic. In fact, I wanted to do an essay which was chemistry related and I wanted to investigate the different methods used to extract caffeine from tea leaves and their effectiveness. However, after researching on the internet, I found out that it is a very popular topic and that it is suggested by many sites. I do not want to do an extended essay on a topic which most people already investigated and I want to do something a little more original. Is there a way I can narrow my subject of investigation so that my EE will be a little more original? And , If not, what are your suggestions for a good topic which is still chemistry related?

Thanks in advance.

1. You can't narrow it down so that it becomes original, it will still have the same ideas as all those other essays that have already been done. You should choose a new topic, it's not that hard.

2. We can't choose a topic for you, it's your own personal essay. Do something that interests you.

Hey!!!

Chemistry is also my EE subject.

I can honestly say that if I have the opportunity to re-select my subject, I would not choose chemistry.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love chemistry. But an EE in chemistry (in my POV) is quite difficult because there's always a possibility that your experiement would not work.

I suggest doing something small to start with. Do some research online and narrow your choice down to three or five different research questions. Make sure you take the time to do some trialing to see whether it works/not. And then start writing/doing the acutal experiment.

Good Luck :P

Like the poster above, I would recommend against doing an extended essay in experimental sciences. You cannot just research and regurgitate some stuff from the Internet. You have to do an actual experiment. I would say that an EE in the sciences is possibly two or even three times as much work as one in languages / social sciences. If you are already having a difficult time coming up with a topic (possibly the easiest part of the whole EE process), you will have an even more difficult time conducting the labs and extrapolating valid points based on your data. Back out now before it's too late. :P

• 1 month later...