Math Studies & Ivy league ?

noellex

Hey guys !

Im currently a junior in a school with ib courses.

Well I never really was the type of person who loves maths...

And in my future I want to pursuit a job as a lawyer.

So I intend to major in Poli Science when I am getting into a college.

But now the question is whether they are going to accept me (IVY league) when Im taking Math Studies.

What do you think ? Oh my HL levels are Economics,English and Spanish

Because then I have a higher chance to get a 6 or a 7 in maths studies so that my ib score increases

Oh and do u know how hard Math Studies is in order to get a 7 ?

Thanks in advance !!

N.

I don't know about Ivy league but I think Math Studies is really simple, mostly repeating the basics, so getting a 7 shouldn't be that hard. On the other hand I've never had any problems with math earlier and I changed from SL only because there was so much I hadn't done before so I had a hard time keeping up.

Edited by Sparkling

A person from our school was able to get into Brown with Math Studies. She was, however, exceptionally smart with a 2200+ in hers SATs and a lot of extra curriculars. She was Student Council president, fluent in French, did Kumon, and was active in sports.

Edited by Dreamer94

From what I've heard from other IB grads, taking math studies will lower your chances of getting in to IVY league schools, no matter what department you're applying for. This is largely because the schools know which HLs are easier and which are harder, and that unless you can differentiate yourself with awesome SAT scores, something like two languages at HL and your math down at studies won't look too great.

The thing you should consider is that even courses like economics will eventually require you to use calculus, and that not learning it while you have the chance is going to put you at a serious disadvantage. Even without having to apply it, there's a good reason that many successful applicants to Harvard law school come from math, physics or engineering backgrounds, namely, they've been able to show that they're capable of thinking analytically and quantitatively, which are arguably more valuable and harder to teach than qualitative skills.

• Like 1