Math SL- Can I still get a 7?

r a i n b o w stardust

One IA isn't enough for you to say that. I got 11/20 in my first IA, because, well, it's the first. Then I got 18 on the next

two and 19 on the last(got marked down to 18). Point is,you still have a chance, if you're aim is a 7, do not put a 6 in

your mind! IAs considerably affect your final grade, so work hard on them. I am sure your teacher will give you how many

marks you got in each criteria and should tell you why. Don't repeat those mistakes, follow everysingle instruction on the

paper they give you, and go ask your teacher if you are not sure about something, I really think if a teacher saw that you

are working on it from the first day, they will help you because they know you are not coming for last minute help. Even if

he didn't, when you don't understand something, there are many threads inwhich you can ask questions. If I were you, I would

not leave a chance for any mistake to take that 7 from me! When you do all this, trust me you will get a better mark! Take

my word. Oh, and never ever leave your IA till the last 2 nights.

Final answer, a 7 is still extremely possible! you are just half way through th FIRST year! There is nothing to be down about. :angrymob:

• Like 2

Hey!

IA really does not count for much. The main thing right now is to try and forget about that mark and look forward.

Do really well for your second IA and you will still pass the IA component (they average your two scores)

I got 17 for one of mine and 14 for the other. And at that time, I thought 14 was HORRIBLE.. I still got a 7 tho. (I suspect i was pretty borderline)

The externals count for the most.

Good Luck!

You must have done your IA's extremely early, we haven't done any of ours yet and we're doing 4 (2 of each). Maybe your school is doing a similar thing, where only the best one you do for type I and type II are sent as your IA's, so it doesn't matter if you mess one up. And I think that for maths the IA-exam weighting is 20-80, so in no way does getting a low mark on one part of the whole IA mark mean you can't get a 7.

It's true it doesn't count for much but it does make a difference, getting a high 5 is nothing like getting a 4..I truly believe I would have got a 4 if not of my IA, seeing that I really messed up my exam papers.

Rainbowdust, how many IAs do you guys do? do you do 1 for each type or 2 per type?

Thanks everyone, your words are truly comforting ^^

You must have done your IA's extremely early, we haven't done any of ours yet and we're doing 4 (2 of each). Maybe your school is doing a similar thing, where only the best one you do for type I and type II are sent as your IA's, so it doesn't matter if you mess one up. And I think that for maths the IA-exam weighting is 20-80, so in no way does getting a low mark on one part of the whole IA mark mean you can't get a 7.

We finished the first IA within 2-3 months of starting the course. My teacher is insane... and unfortunately we only do 2 IA's so this one does put me at a disadvantage doesn't it?

It's true it doesn't count for much but it does make a difference, getting a high 5 is nothing like getting a 4..I truly believe I would have got a 4 if not of my IA, seeing that I really messed up my exam papers.

Rainbowdust, how many IAs do you guys do? do you do 1 for each type or 2 per type?

I just figured out that the marks we get on the course get 'boosted up'- the mark boundaries are generous. Like a final mark of 70% would be a level 6 which is in turn a 90%. Awesome news for me!!

We only do 1 per type =(

Hey!

IA really does not count for much. The main thing right now is to try and forget about that mark and look forward.

Do really well for your second IA and you will still pass the IA component (they average your two scores)

I got 17 for one of mine and 14 for the other. And at that time, I thought 14 was HORRIBLE.. I still got a 7 tho. (I suspect i was pretty borderline)

The externals count for the most.

Good Luck!

Are you certain of this? Do they really average the scores? I thought each IA was marked out of 20, both marks added, and that gives you your final IA mark..... =/

Say I literally failed the first one, I can still achieve that level 7? My teacher told me to aim for a 6 D;

Edited by sweetnsimple786
Please use the edit button to add more to a post.

Are you certain of this? Do they really average the scores? I thought each IA was marked out of 20, both marks added, and that gives you your final IA mark..... =/

Say I literally failed the first one, I can still achieve that level 7? My teacher told me to aim for a 6 D;

You're right, the two scores out of twenty are added together. Either way though, you get the same thing. If it were averaged, it'd be X out of 20. Since it's not averaged, it's 2X out of 40.

My teacher said that she literally gave someone less than a 20 [out of 40] because he turned in extremely crappy IAs and he got a 7 overall because he just aced the exam. Lots of people at my school don't do so well on the IAs, but it's not that hard to get a 7 as the official score nonetheless if you're good at math. And my teacher does get moderated up and down but nothing really significant. You can get a 7. & you shouldn't aim for lower.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's out of 40, 36+/40 is a 7 last year.

If you are going to let people, even your teacher bring your self esteem down, then don't listen to them. Teachers tend to do that because they don't want students living on false hope, but ANYONE can get a 7 if they work for it! It's up for you to decide whether your IA will affect your overall grade or no.

You're right, the two scores out of twenty are added together. Either way though, you get the same thing. If it were averaged, it'd be X out of 20. Since it's not averaged, it's 2X out of 40.

My teacher said that she literally gave someone less than a 20 [out of 40] because he turned in extremely crappy IAs and he got a 7 overall because he just aced the exam. Lots of people at my school don't do so well on the IAs, but it's not that hard to get a 7 as the official score nonetheless if you're good at math. And my teacher does get moderated up and down but nothing really significant. You can get a 7. & you shouldn't aim for lower.

Ok, thank-you for that. And I'll keep my posts together in the future

Yeah, it's out of 40, 36+/40 is a 7 last year.

If you are going to let people, even your teacher bring your self esteem down, then don't listen to them. Teachers tend to do that because they don't want students living on false hope, but ANYONE can get a 7 if they work for it! It's up for you to decide whether your IA will affect your overall grade or no.

You're right, I think I am behaving too sensitively about this. I've kept thinking I'm the worst at math because of all my results but alot of students in my class are on the same level as me. My teacher is making sl math harder than it should be. I'll try to keep positive and do my best with the rest of the course =)