ITGS new teacher that doesn't know ANYTHING- help please

kisskoli

Hi

Our old ITGS teacher left the school October last year. Im doing SL ITGS so it was lucky because I have already covered the 3 topics, although she rushed through them because she knew she was going to leave.

The new teacher has no clue of the IB and is wasting my time every lesson because I am the only SL student in the class...and the time is all spent talking about HL cw.

What is everyone else doing in their ITGS classes now?

I can't even revise because he thinks that listening to what he says to the HL students about their cw will help my writing skills (even though they are fine!)

If I ask him anything to do with the coursework, his answer is "google it". Which is fair enough but I don't see the point in him being a teacher if he isn't going to teach or guide me.

He couldnt even tell me what "beta testing" was earlier today... he talked about the taste of a clementine! He doesn't know anything about the IB and NOTHING about ITGS...the exams are in a few weeks :P

I've told the IB co-ordinator but he has told me to trust him.

I feel really concerned and rather annoyed.

:P

Any advice/ thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Wow, seems like all ITGS students are suffering.

I finished IB last may, but my ITGS was a catastrophy, in fact this teacher of yours sounds like mine.

I would not listen to your IBC about trusting the teacher, it will get you nowhere, we were told the same thing and a lot of people got extremely bad marks althought the exam was EASY, I got a 4 which was a SHOCK.

Do not depend on him at all and don't expect him to help you nor guide you, even if he did, it wont be helpful. For the exam, just go through the syllabus for each area find the social and ethical impacts and one or two examples, how they work and what devices(if any) they require. For the Project, again do not depend him, if you need any guidance we'll help you, with my class there was no point in asking for him help. The guy just kept showing us videos the whole time!

It is official, all IB ITGS teachers are horrible! I haven't met one good one! IBO should seriously consider removing ITGS. As for your post, study Computer Confluence parallel to the Syllabus. Solve past papers, read the markband, see what it means. Everyone says "IT Terminology" well no one explained it to me. It is using both IT context words "Utility, Operating System, Feedback loop Data Mining." AND using Social/Ethical Issues when needed.

I hold great pity towards future ITGS students.

The problem is, there is no book possible that is specific to ITGS. Computer Confluence is not that helpful as it's too much for ITGS and you have to pick out the chapters and stuff.

The ITGS syllabus is the msot unclear and vague syllabus I have ever seen, you just have to kill yourself doing past papers and hope for the best.

• 2 weeks later...

oh dear!

Thanks for the advice!

I am writing my report and all now.

How many pages are the log books in general?

Unfortunately, being the first IB group in school, and the only SL student, I've not been seen other examples apart from a few snips on dabrook.

I'm also taking ITGS SL. Don't worry too much about the number of pages since it varies greatly depending on each student. Nonetheless, just make sure you achieve all the requirements...

• 4 weeks later...

Oh god the infamous ITGS. I've had the luck of enduring this class and it's taught me how much I don't know about computers even though I actually love them. Sometimes it can get the best of you because when you see the sample IB questions, they seem so common sense. However I would just trust what your teacher tells you and if you get confused about anything I would just try to find whatever I can on Google. My class just finished portfolios and all my teacher said was here's a packet of info about portfolios, do it. If I had to get advice to anyone, don't take ITGS.

• 4 months later...

Oh god the infamous ITGS. I've had the luck of enduring this class and it's taught me how much I don't know about computers even though I actually love them. Sometimes it can get the best of you because when you see the sample IB questions, they seem so common sense. However I would just trust what your teacher tells you and if you get confused about anything I would just try to find whatever I can on Google. My class just finished portfolios and all my teacher said was here's a packet of info about portfolios, do it. If I had to get advice to anyone, don't take ITGS.

I find this quite offensive...I've taken ITGS HL and my exams are in May 2012 and so far i really enjoy the subject. The problem is that my teacher's english isn't great so he starts talking in hindi (I'm from India) sometimes. But thats besides the point. All of my coursework is on the net. If i dont undertand the concept from him, I pop open my laptop and listen to a lecture on youtube or megavideo on that topic.

ITGS has taught me a lot by the way....