Has anyone used 'The IB Survival Handbook' study guide?

Maria_m

One of our teachers recommended this study guide called 'The IB Survival Handbook' for us - ibsurvivalhandbook.com. I looked at the free sample on the webiste which looks pretty good but still debating whether or not to buy it. Has anyone used this or heard about it? They seem to have a recommendation from an IB examiner which is pretty cool. Is this book related to this website? Not sure how they are different from OSC I think its more general advice not subjects not sure tho. Any help greatly appreciated! :D M

I'd never heard about this until now. I thought you might have referred to this: http://council.cst.a...s//ibsguide.pdf

So I checked out the website and the sample you're talking about. They are charging 37.50 USD for one book or 25.50 USD each for 10 book, total of 255 USD. For what they are offering, that is ridiculous, in my opinion. First of all, if you're all classmates, just someone buy a book [or three books] and share. In the free sample it says

(HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) Read it from cover to cover – if you find our prose pleasing simply read the whole thing. It won’t take you more than an hour or so. You’ll be surprised at how much you’ll learn.

An hour or so to read the book? Wow.

The pros: it has information that you should probably know and advice that you should hear out.

Con: This information does not need to be bought. Look at the table of contents in the sample. There's nothing about the subject material. It's about how to learn and studying and not killing yourself. There are many free articles about this. And the IB isn't the only program that causes its students pain. In fact, college is often much harder. There's a lot of information that you can probably find on the internet. Your teachers can tell you this. Your friends can tell you this. Just talk with your classmates about how they deal with work.

Now I'm not saying the book is useless. It has good information. It's trying to share knowledge, which is noble. It's also ripping you off, I think.

About the book's relation to the website... The goal of both is to help you survive IB. Other than that, none.

You are right 18 euro is a little pricey. :D I guess tho in fairness its cheaper than the majority of the Oxford guides which ppl in my school at least buy by the truckload (these are like 22 or sth POUNDS each)! Their recommendations are pretty impressive tho dont you think? London School of Economics?! I mean sure theres loads of stuff online for free but not with such positive reviews. "Your teachers can tell you this. Your friends can tell you this." Unfortunately my teachers are not that helpful with this kindda stuff and friends just as lost as I am mostly:) Has anyone actually read the whole thing?

But it seems like the review/study guides have condensed the information that you need to know to do well on the exam.

And I think the 18 euros is without the shipping. The price of a book went from like 20-something USD to 37.5 USD when the shipping and other expenses were added on.

I'm just skeptical of people who are trying to sell me things. And yeah, LSE is an amazing school, but LSE hasn't approved the comment one teacher made. I'm sure the professors at LSE are wonderful and brilliant. But this guy who is supporting it--did he write this book? Or does he know someone who did? I honestly didn't look into him, so I don't know if he's praising it because his child has used this book and it's helped the child so much or what, you know?

But I think you're wise to ask for more opinions than just mine. Just know that you can certainly ask questions you have on here. In fact, there are existing threads on how to do well in specific subjects, specific assignments, and in the general program as an overall kind of thing. =)

Edit: So the authors of the books are students who studied at LSE. And the two amazing reviews are by the head of the IR Dept at LSE and a former IB Econ Deputy Chief [i have no idea what that title means]. I'm sorry, but I'm taking these reviews with a grain of salt. When I read the reviews they tell me that the book is really useful. It's great. But I also realize that when they say it's a 'must read' I can't trust them.

Huh, shipping isnt quite that much for me - comes out to 24 euro in all. I guess they must ship from Europe or sth so US would be more...Will defn check out the other threads - any ones in particular youd suggst? They also seem to have an IB examiner - 'Jocelyn Blink' - on their website. Somehow i dont think these kind of ppl put their names on just anything. Maybe im wrong.. :D Defn would like to hear from anyone who has read this as it is a bit of an 'investement'..

I understand. Read the 'edit' on my last post. And about the links. It really depends on what classes you're taking and the questions you have.

Also, why not everyone in your class pool together the money to buy one [or three copies]? Way cheaper. Like going to a dollar store and buying something just because it's a dollar :D

Deputy chief Im pretty sure means she was the main IB econ examiner, whcih is quite impressive i think. I noticed the LSE connection just now as well. But to be honest them having done international relations at lse is pretty impressive - its like one of the hardest courses in the UK to get into ive heard. Also i doubt serious academics put their names on sth just b/c of a connection they have - reputations, etc..

That is a good suggestion:) I struggle quite a bit with essays (structuring thoughts and not just 'blah') and remembering lots of information for tests :D mostly the writing tho - especially the amount of it!

just wondering - why dont you trust it just bc it says 'must read'?

Hey guyz.

I actually got the book and read it! Ehm, ..about the price, well my dad was happy to go ahead :P:wub: lol.

One thing I’m really angry about is what sweetnsimple 786 said about the information being all over the place and being able to get it everywhere – well that’s one thing I really hate :D - to look for things all over the place and finding random advices here and there, then one friend giving me an advice and another a different one.

This book got it all packed and several options for different problems + to write the book they’ve read stuff from pediatrics and the world health organization (and I think I can trust that for once instead of thinking which advice to follow).

it took me a bit more than an hour to read but thank god its short and simple.

Hey I just opened the book to have a look again.

The memory stuff is totally useful, first time around I read it really quickly but then you actually need to have it next to you when u sit down to try it out...or al least I do :wub:

Some of the exercises are really fun + it did actually help me remember stuff (like for history :P ) – its also useful to organize your facts for essays. The part on essay writing is more than just the ‘topic sentences’ etc… the bit I found useful was on challenging my own argument and ‘scrutinizing’ it :D / writing a critical conclusion (beats restarting introduction in the past tense).

I don't believe the 'must read' because this book is reaching out to current [and it'd be more helpful if you're in the earlier stages of the DP program, of course] and future IB students. Either promising or almost promising acceptance into the school of their dreams just because they've read the book. And it's just the implication. And I realize that I'm biased. But when he says, “The IB Survival Handbook is a must read for any high school student with ambitions to attend a top university." I can't imagine how that can be true. And I'm certainly going off my personal experience. When it comes to standardized tests, I worry. A lot. They're just more important than they should be, maybe with good reason--that's another story. Anyways, I've been through many test prep books offering things that work. One will say you've got to do xyz. And another will say do not do xyz. Do abc. Whatever. [Yeah, I'm really creative :D ] I have to find what works for me. I read the books that have these formulas to get the perfect score, and they lack personalization. The materials that come closest are the vague ones that don't say anything concrete but tell me to go figure it out on my own.

So maybe I'm at fault that I can't follow others' ways to success. Maybe you can adapt to what others say. The thing is I needed the contradictory advice. I'm sorry, flamingo, that what I said made you angry. I really did need to go through the process of talking to upperclassmen, graduates, teachers, and friends and researching on the internet. It was a long ordeal. But when I study now, I know what works. I learned a lot about myself and other people. What motivates us. How I'm different, and how I'm the same. And I'm not saying that it's perfect. I can always be a better learner. Get the book if you want. Just don't hate the differences in advice. The contradictions? I react to different things differently. One thing that I'd hate to do is put down how someone learns. If you feel I did that, I didn't mean to. In the same manner, don't always bash the contradictions.

I totally agree with you - standardised tests are awful! Thankfully UK unis (where i wanna go) dont take them that seriously but im guessing youre going for the states? Personally I think they only tell someone how good you are at writing that particular test; they have nothing to do with 'intelligence' or whatever. I'll disagree with you over the quote 'ambitions to attend a top uni'; to me that doesnt say 'WILL get into top uni' at all. It says that it would be smart to read it and the info/lessons inside might increase my chances if i learn from them. ANyhow, not a bid deal! I've actually gone ahead and ordered the book so will see for myself:)