Extra CAS Hours Beneficial?

Do they keep track of extra CAS hours, and is it beneficial in any way? (for universities, etc.)

For example if one person does the minimum,(50 hours) for each category, and another person has,100-200 hours in a category, do they get more recognition?

My school keeps track of CAS hours but our co-ordinator encourages quality over quantity.

It really depends on which universities you are applying to on whether they recognise the extra hours.

I myself did 1750 hours and documented it all and it has helped me to a certain extent but also been a waste of time.

CAS is meant to be more of a life-changing experience rather than a collection of meaningless hours. Take this advice. Trust me. :P

I guess it depends on who you talk to, but my IB coordinator said that IB does not like it when you just do the hours and then do no more because then you're not developing the habits of CAS, which are the whole point of CAS. In IB1 he made us do the hours so that the quantity was not an issue, and in IB2 he had us do some of each type of CAS every other week because they like to see the "habit-forming" behaviour. That was what my coordinator did, but it really depends on who you ask.

Edited by Sonneteer_Trombonist

Like the person said above, talk to your coordinator. But I am assuming, it can only benefit. Universities like to see you involved, to know you are hard working, and have people skills. Now-a-days they look a lot at that. It increases your chances of acceptance if you do a lot of things.

I don't know; I got a 'Special Award: Pastoral Awards for Outstanding Contributions to CAS' for the MYP equivalent from my school and it appeared in my transcript which I guess universities could see. But even if your school does not have similar awards, the extra CAS can still be beneficial to you because you can choose to include the activities in your applications.

• 5 months later...

Yeah. I think that extra CAS hours could be beneficial when applying to uni or for a job. I don't think that you need to go waaaaayy over the requirement to do this, though. Do CAS activities that you like, and you'll probably end up doing a bit extra anyways :blush:

Edited by fire.realm

They are not beneficial when it comes to my CAS programme but indirectly in your personal statement/admission essays or whatever you have to do when applying to university. I had about 600 hours on my first IB year (probably going to slow down a bit on my IB2) and I definitely thank myself for it now that I'm writing my PS, although I'm only including 3 of my CAS activities.

Edited by Cynthia