Questions on Spanish SL IA Orals: Complexity and Culture?

ABC123456

My individual oral for Spanish SL is tomorrow and I have a few questions. For the presentation part where I talk about something I chose, how complex does it have to be? I picked an article on Carolina Herrera, a fashion designer from Venezuela. I feel like the things I am going to say in the presentation are really basic, such as "Her fashion line is sold in many stores in famous locations." or "Her philosophy is influenced by her life." Will I be marked down? Is this too simple?

My second question is, during the presentation, do we have to discuss specifically about how our topic is culturally Spanish? All I can think of to say is that she is from an aristocratic Spanish family and her style is influenced by the painter Goya and embroideries from the eighteenth century.

Basically are a large part of our grades based on what we say, or just how we say it?(As in grammar, idiomatic expression, etc.)

Is this Spanish B? I don't know if ab initio does orals...

I'll assume it's B, although if you're structuring it around an article, I don't think it is....

I don't think you have to worry about making it more complex. Basically, if it's too simple, then you probably can't talk about it for more than two minutes, unless you're all over the place. About how complex the vocab should be.. if you've taken two years of the language, use vocab that shows you've taken two years. If you've taken four years, you should try to exceed the vocab level from year two. I hope that makes sense. And the vocab you use will influence the ideas you express. So look up words related to fashion if you're not familiar with them [which you've probably already done].

I feel like the things I am going to say in the presentation are really basic, such as "Her fashion line is sold in many stores in famous locations." or "Her philosophy is influenced by her life." Will I be marked down? Is this too simple?

I don't think so. Say a statement and elaborate and explain. If you can do that, you should be fine.

About your second question... no, I don't think so. I did mine on the hand fan and how it showed the state of Spanish women a couple of centuries ago and today. It was pretty obvious how my topic was related to Spanish culture.

And about the grade... if I remember correctly, you're graded on how well you speak [fluency], the vocab you use, your register [appropriate tone], and the grammar. Basically if you don't pause for long periods of time frequently and use mostly correct grammar and don't sound scripted, you should be fine. Yes, the content is important, but I think it's just as important how you say what you say. I think how you deliver is actually more important than what you deliver. Try to be confident. And make your thoughts flow better with idiomatic expressions. It shows a comfort with the language. Don't overuse them though. I think I just gave you a lot of advice you weren't looking for... haha