Paedophilia Scandal

~Lc~

http://www.euronews.net/2010/02/15/pope-meets-irish-bishops-over-paedophilia-scandal/

4 Bishops had to offer their resignations? I don't think this is a matter of losing your highprofile job, I think more reporting should have been made about the conviction of these bishops, no?

anyway what does everyon think? contraversial eh?

Good on them for trying to do something proactive about it...as long as it isn't just a token gesture...

The Catholic church seems to be getting a lot of bad press these days. Not entirely undeserved in some ways, I guess. Ample material for a TOK reflection here, methinks. Should the church not be subject to the same scrutiny as any other institution?

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose the Vatican could be seen as a governing body as it produces a form of legislation and policy through which Catholics are meant to lead their lives abiding to. So technically yes it should be subject to scrutiny. But the whole religious realm is so subjective there's no point of scrutinizing, unless you're preaching and no one likes preachers!

but anyway I don't think they should keep it so mysterious in there, they need to decrease the secrecy because it makes people get to devious things, as ironic as it sounds...

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it's less of a scandal than what it would have been one, two hundred years earlier. There are more atheist/agnostic people nowadays, and even religious people aren't so devoted to the Church. The whole organisation is losing much of its influence and subsequently, its happenings are of less importance... But it's a scandal anyhow, considering how the Church is supposed to be all holy and good and all that :)

what's wrong with abusing a little child? i don't understand you guys

If you really mean this, then God I really don't want to talk to you, you freak me out.

If you are not, then I second Lc, and you don't seem to see this as something very 'grave' seeing that you are making jokes about it..eek..

• 6 months later...

The Catholic church gets a lot of bad press about this, i think they don't deserve too much but they definatley need some, apparently it doesn't stop bishups from doing what they do. I sort of agree with PakistaN, but religon is religon so you do what you got to do. Athough that definatley would not include child abuse, which brings up more issues... this topic is sure getting a lot of coverage in the news lately

Pssh, if the kids didn't want to get molested they should have just avoided being diagonal from them /jokes jokes

I don't think the church will allow for very much investigation. Hush hush and all that.

"This has done immense damage to the authority of the Church as the mouthpiece of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Of that, there is no doubt,” said Bishop Joseph Duffy of Clogher. “Our business is to try to repair that damage and to restore confidence.”

Look at this excerpt. There is no mention of investigating or preventing future incidents. That is completely irrelevant and unimportant to them, in fact it is even more detrimental to their image to face this with anything other than absolute confidence in their remaining bros. Their sole goal is to repair their image to their rep.

Edited by Grumps

That's true, church fanatics will find some sort of excuse to put help them but this behind then and move on...

But churches don't need scandals to kill them off, thank the (pagan) Gods they're doing just fine in dying by themselves.

I just reread my post, and I'm such a dyslexic!

I think the dying started after world war II, I have subjective reasons for thinking this :D as most of the world changed after WW2

• 2 weeks later...

Haha no rational person will ever trust the church again, although, to be fair, I can't see why you would trust them with your kid in the first place.

I'm sure there are plenty of rational people who will believe in the Church. Also you seem to be judging the Church based on these few cases that are presented, and not the whole of the Church.

Haha no rational person will ever trust the church again, although, to be fair, I can't see why you would trust them with your kid in the first place.

I'm sure there are plenty of rational people who will believe in the Church. Also you seem to be judging the Church based on these few cases that are presented, and not the whole of the Church.

By rational people I mean: if there is a certain percentage chance that your very young kid will be sexually abused by priests, will you let the priests have him? I wouldn't. Even if I was deeply religious and saw in the Bible my children's future salvation I still wouldn't take that risk. Think of the potential consequences...

I think many people, if they truly believed in the religion, would still choose church. I mean, what's having a **** up your butt to burning in hell for an eternity (since even if you are a perfect person if you know about church but don't go you will burn in hell forever).