Sign in to follow this  

Geography Extended Essay: Choosing an area of Research

I'm having trouble deciding on a specific area of research for my geography extended essay. Additionally, there aren't very many sample research questions available for me to look at: I was wondering whether any people who chose geography as their EE subject area could tell me their research question just to provide me with some ideas/inspiration.

Thanks!

You can do geography either on already published stats/information or you can conduct your own field study. I have been told by my teacher that the examiners generally like a field study done in the student's own local area, but you can still get great marks by using other peoples' data/info...

Try looking up geographical models or theories and find a way to test these on something.

Hello!

Good on you for choosing Geography :P I did my EE on The Butler's Model/ Resort life cycle model, based on numerous towns in my local shire. I basically researched into what stage each are at on the model, and come to an overall conclusion as to which stage my local shire is at.

At first I tried to use one of the sample questions, but tweak it to my local area, however I found it to be too difficult, so I had a look through my textbooks to see what I could apply to my local area.

For data collection, I used mostly secondary sources such as books and websites, but I did create my own indexes and surveys, and I held some interviews with residents as my primary sources.

Good luck! I hope i've helped :)

• Like 1