Theatre Research Investigation

beauty_from_ashes

I am having trouble narrowing my RQ. Well, I want to do research on Cantonese Opera, but I am not able to find the books that I need in the library. So therefore I turned to classical theatre (Greek theatre. I decided that I wanted to focus on Aeschylus and the play will be Agamemnon. The RQ's I have thought of so far are: how would the characters in Agamemnon by Aeschylus speak and move on the stage? Or How would the choir emphasize their role in Agamemnon by Aeschylus?

Our teacher (who just gave birth to a boy) planned for us to do the RI march, april and may! Our class is pretty ticked off at such a mistake. We have not even been informed about the RQ. I am having to look it up on my own and come to some understanding. This is difficult as most internal assessments are due next week (tok, ee, WL1, WL2, and so on). Just a lot on the plate and very bad organization on the teachers part. The new teacher we got has not the slightest clue about what the IB is let alone the theatre course. Haha, I'm writing out of desperation. She is doing her best to understand, but still. Any help would be great help!

The RQ's I have thought of so far are: how would the characters in Agamemnon by Aeschylus speak and move on the stage? Or How would the choir emphasize their role in Agamemnon by Aeschylus?

I very much like the first one. The only way you can narrow it down more is to pick a specific character: How would the actor playing _______ in Agamemnon speak and move?

Not so sure about the second one. It sounds like you're dangerously close to moving into literary analysis. Define what you mean by "emphasize".

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Aha. Thank you so much! I talked to my teacher (who just informed us about it today) and she has given me a go. I was also thinking of doing one by Christopher Marlowe, the play is Dr. Faustus. But I think it would be quite difficult to find possible books on that play in our Library.

(The other options that I wanted were, Cantonese Opera, Japaense Water Puppets, Korean Mask Dance, but it is just too difficult to find the plays or the books for those theatre topics.)

Aha. Thank you so much! I talked to my teacher (who just informed us about it today) and she has given me a go. I was also thinking of doing one by Christopher Marlowe, the play is Dr. Faustus. But I think it would be quite difficult to find possible books on that play in our Library.

Go for it. But also remember to not limit yourself to your library. I had an insanely hard topic to research (butoh), and I had to order a DVD from Japan! Remember to use internet databases like Questia and JStor.

• 1 year later...