[Math Studies] Project: Enough Data?

Jakebert

Hi,

I've got a quick question: my math project is a test to see if there is a correlation between lung cancer and smoking. I have the number of smokers in Ontario from 1999 - 2004, ditto lung cancer victims. That only leaves me with 12 pieces of data, (i.e. numbers). Is that enough? Do I need MORE raw data? If not, how can I compensate for it in the analysis?

I think you might need more, especially if you are going to use "complicated maths", such as the chi-squared test and linear regression. My maths teacher emphasised that we had heaps of data as the chi-squared test and other "complicated maths" are less accurate if not enough data is used. It's a good topic though!

My suggestion is, maybe find data for different countries, or different areas of Canada? I compared birth rates, death rates, infant mortality rates and GDP of over 100 selected countries. For the simple maths, I randomly chose 4 LEDC countries and 4 MEDC countries, and for the more advanced maths, I used all 100 to give a more accurate result. :S

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think you might need more, especially if you are going to use "complicated maths", such as the chi-squared test and linear regression. My maths teacher emphasised that we had heaps of data as the chi-squared test and other "complicated maths" are less accurate if not enough data is used. It's a good topic though!

My suggestion is, maybe find data for different countries, or different areas of Canada? I compared birth rates, death rates, infant mortality rates and GDP of over 100 selected countries. For the simple maths, I randomly chose 4 LEDC countries and 4 MEDC countries, and for the more advanced maths, I used all 100 to give a more accurate result. :D

Well, frankly, it's difficult. I don't know if he is using E-stat which gives free stats for stuff in Canada. Other statistics websites are hard to come across.

Well, frankly, it's difficult. I don't know if he is using E-stat which gives free stats for stuff in Canada. Other statistics websites are hard to come across.

See the reply I made to your post about the Maths IA. For data on countries around the world, there is the CIA factbook and Nation Master http://www.nationmaster.com/index.php

Both websites helped me heaps in my Maths IA and for Geography. :D