From regular school (private school) to IB

Amber

Well I am currently In a private school. I am going to take HL: Math, Chem, and Bio. SL: English, History, French.

How much of a difference or jump will it be? I get around a 90 average here. I am just really nervous, I am willing to work really hard, but still.

If you took a Maths SL, Chem SL, and Bio SL preparatory course or regular SL course and you get a 90 on that then it won't be as much of a jump as if you self-study for SL topics. I still don't know how you will take HL in IB1, your counselor will probably arrange something eventually though. 3 HL's in IB1 will be very hard, but with motivation you can prevail. lol I sound like a preacher now

If you took a Maths SL, Chem SL, and Bio SL preparatory course or regular SL course and you get a 90 on that then it won't be as much of a jump as if you self-study for SL topics. I still don't know how you will take HL in IB1, your counselor will probably arrange something eventually though. 3 HL's in IB1 will be very hard, but with motivation you can prevail. lol I sound like a preacher now

I dunno what 90 means, but I wouldn't be put off if you're doing all your subjects in IB1 and IB2 (rather than leaving some until IB2). Statistically speaking, this is actually what most people do! The IB is designed to have both subjects pursued across two years, although it is possible to make it into a half/half course.

If 90 is good, you'll be fine. The only thing I would say is that Maths and Chem HL are both quite difficult, especially Maths HL, so I hope you're pretty good at Maths :S

• Like 1

I think it's actually beneficial to do HL [and SL] over the course of two years--more time to absorb the same amoung of material.

I don't know what a 90 means in your school system, but a 90 is good/fine here. I'd say a significant difference is the quality of work in English and history. I had to write a lot more essays & better quality essays. In the best scenario, you'll find your classes interesting, your teachers engaging, and your classmates amazing. With motivation, pretty much anything is attainable. =) Be nervous. Be excited. But don't miss out on everything else. Okay more-advice-than-you-want time is over. :S