The Picture of Dorian Gray

Taigan

Hello IBS.

Well I've been asked by my school to select a final subject for my EE in english A1, so i was wondering whether the picture of Dorian gray (by oscar wilde) would be appropriate to use? Has anyone read it? I really want a text in which I can dig deeper and analyse thoroughly.

Hello IBS.

Well I've been asked by my school to select a final subject for my EE in english A1, so i was wondering whether the picture of Dorian gray (by oscar wilde) would be appropriate to use? Has anyone read it? I really want a text in which I can dig deeper and analyse thoroughly.

I have read it. The thing is with English EEs, you should probably choose more than one book to compare elements of the novels (themes, structure, etc.).

I liked the book though. It's a good read, considered to be proper literature and there are plenty of themes to analyse (superficiality, app vs. reality, the brevity of life, morals, curruption of youth, conventions, rebellion against the society, etc). You might like to compare it with other novels of the Gothic or romantic movement novels for similarities or existentialist novels for the contrast. A few of the other A1 languages use Dorian Gray in their world lit. studies I think (Spanish, French, I'm pretty sure). However, to be honest, while Oscar Wilde is a good author and I love his works, esp. this novel, I think he really meant this novel at a superficial level an EE might get a bit too overdone and cliché. Most of the good English EEs I've seen (at least in my school) tackle lesser known books, examiners also prefer a breath of fresh air (plus, you get the chance to score much better if the examiner doesn't know your book inside out). However, if you manage to think of an original research question, it might also help to redeem the cliché.

Edited by lindieeluieee