The University of Manchester

Cookie

I would just like to start a thread specifically for the University of Manchester.

I got an offer a few months ago to study BA Economics at Manchester starting Sept. 2010. My offer is 34 points 6,6,5 at HL. Anyone else thinking of going to Manchester? I'm really feeling it and I think it will be my firm choice. I also got offers from Glasgow, Essex, Sheffield and East Anglia. Is Manchester my best choice??

I think the Uni has a good reputation but I have heard the student satisfaction is really low. Does anyone know anything about this? According to The Times world uni rankings, Manchester is the 26th best university in the world.

Today, I applied for accommodation. I chose halls which are located in the campus because they seemed more convenient (close to lectures and shops). However, I heard that the social life at Fallowfield is much better.

Please feel free to share any thoughts and ideas about the Uni of Manchester. :(

I've been to Manchester, although I don't attend the uni myself, and it's a great city. If I'd known that the city was that good I would've applied there myself. I'd say Sheffield and Manchester are the best academically out of the choices you have, but Glasgow is a good chocie as well. I've also visited Glasgow Uni and East Anglia as I have friends there. Glasgow's a beautiful uni, the Scots are really friendly and the city seemed good as well, although some English people warned me about crime statistics (personally I didn't think it was that bad). East Anglia university is nowhere near the centre of the city, although Norwich has a lot of clubs and shops because the biggest city around for miles. The buses were expensive, and it takes about 20mins to get to the centre. The uni is campus based, all the accommodation is on campus, the rooms were nice but it didn't seem that great to be honest.

Student satisfaction at Manchester...don't really know this even about my own uni. Every uni has problems, ours is with the quality of feedback we get on essays and exams. But if you have a good feeling about the university then go for it, don't realy on bad accounts of people to change your mind.

Fallowfield is definitely a cool place, but it's not far from the university and there are buses every few minutes there. Don't worry that you'll miss out on the area, if you really do like it you can find a house there in second year. I live in a similar area myself, and although everyone says the social life in my area is better, it's not that much better than anywhere else. I have pubs a few minutes walk, takeaways and shops, but after the first few months you won't go to the pub non-stop and its probably better if they're further away as you wont spend your money so quickly. Thankfully I'm off the main road because otherwise the noise would be difficult to deal with, I can see that as also being a problem in Fallowfield. It really is a bonus to be close to/on campus as well, I live 30 mins walk and have to walk to university every day because the bus pass for the year is expensive. Good exercise, but when I mvoe into different halls next year I'm definitely going to be on campus/closer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have quite a bit left of IB still, but I've been told that it's good to start thinking about unis already, and one I am seriously considering (even though I have no idea if I will get an offer or anything like that..) is Manchester.

Is there anyone there right now, or anyone with friends there or that has visited, that can share anything regarding manchester university? : )