Getting 6/7

Amber

Depends on A LOT of factors..how good the teachers are, how smart/hard working the kids are, how hard the subject is, etc.

From my own experience, nobody got below a 4 in any subjects in my IB class, most people got 5's in every subject. Except in math SL, 80-90% of my class got a 7. But in English HL, the majority of people got 4 or 5. Nobody got a 7 and only 2 people got a 6. We had a class of 46 students.

Well, doesn't the IBO make a bell curve when figuring out what grade we should get?

I thought that they make it so that most get 4-5.. but then lower and higher grades are calculated.. I mean it varies slightly every year, but grade boudaries should say quite some info to you.

Well, doesn't the IBO make a bell curve when figuring out what grade we should get?

I thought that they make it so that most get 4-5.. but then lower and higher grades are calculated.. I mean it varies slightly every year, but grade boudaries should say quite some info to you.

Um I think masochist is right in that there's no official grading curve but the grading rubrics have very vague and subjective descriptors, like "The essay shows considerable evidence of such qualities" vs "The essay shows some evidence of such qualities" or "The essay shows clear evidence of such qualities" (I copied all of these straight from my EE rubric) so I suppose the graders can still change their ideas of "considerable evidence" since it's so relative. I've heard some rumors that "they change the grade boundaries if everyone scores too low because they're afraid that the exam was too hard" etc but I think they're just uninformed. I have also heard a rumor that the IBO made the grade boundaries more challenging between two year groups but it was about MYP so I'm not so sure if the same can apply and anyway shifting the boundaries between the years doesn't really affect our grades the way that a curve would.

... And if they had a grading curve, then why would they bother calculating all this data on grade distributions?

May2009.pdf

They also wouldn't have such huge differences in mean grade and they certainly wouldn't have subjects with mean grades of 7.00, like some of those languages.

Edited by Charizard
  • Like 1