HL math help

Amber

We are happy to give you our opinions about your situation, but we need to know more about where exactly you stand before we say which class you should test for.

What is the title of your math classes? Why is your grade so high (extra credit)? Have you been able to look at either the Math SL/Math HL syllabus?

Is math difficult to you or does it come naturally?

More than your current grade it depends more on your interest in math and your willingness to push yourself. Another point of consideration is what you plan to go into later on. I personally took math HL, and hated it most of the time while doing it. But now, I am VERY glad I took it over SL. So just keep these things in mind when deciding.

• Like 1

Well to describe the situation better:

- I really really enjoy math, I love doing word problems and such

- Why my grade is so high? I don't know to be honest, I just, get it. I don't do any extra-credit, just the homework, but to be honest I don't really study for my tests. It is just that I used to be in this intense math program then it ended so I went back to regular math, and it was just so easy. I am wondering since, Math HL seems like it is for geniuses, and even though I do get a high grade, I am no where close to a genius.

Thanks guys

i would recommend Maths HL.

I wasn't in an IB course in the 2 previous years, and i never attended an extensive or otherwise advanced maths course and i seem to be doing just fine. i am not saying that i don't face any difficulties or that i understand everything, on the contrary i get confused more often than not. even though i like maths, it is one of my favorite subjects, i won't deny that i rarely see my book, which would explain why i face difficulties. i know what you mean when you say that you don't normally study for a maths test, i live by the rule that maths is explained once and once only, if you understand it then there is no need for revision. but if you are planning on IB, regardless if you want SL or HL maths, you have to forget the not studying thing. you will be able to get by, but you won't be excelling.

all in all, if you say you enjoy maths, and that you keep up with the homework (and are willing to continue to doing so) then by all means take maths HL. oh and a little advice you might find helpful, if you are starting IB in the next school semester, or if yours just started, then take a look at the book and prepare for what's coming, it will helps you a lot.... if otherwise then good luck.

hope i didn't dissuade you from taking maths HL.

Edited by Gail.
  • Like 1