History EE

AlonsoDT

Hi people!

So I've finally decided on doing my EE on History, and my research question goes something like this:

To what extent did the participation of USSR during World War II was determinant for the fall of Germany?

My inicial idea was to compare the participation of the USSR during both WWI and WWII AND see in which war this was a greater factor for the fall of Germany. For my bad luck, my assesor thought that this would be too broad for 4000 words, so I had to narrow it down.

Now, I'm kinda worried about the fact that there's a lot of stuff written about this topic (at least that's what some teachers have told me), and that I might end restating (I don't know if that word's written correctly :D ) someone else's position. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't that what most history essays are about? With any topic, you'd be taking other peoples' viewpoints and twisting them into your final position, and since everybody has access to pretty much the same sources, you'd be bound to end up with a similar stance to somebody else anyway. As long as you justify your statements, and how you came to that conclusion, the fact that your position may be similar to somebody else's won't matter. I think the only way to avoid having the same stance as somebody else would be to do a really obscure topic, and then you may not be able to find enough information - it's a double-edged sword, really.

Also, if your username refers to what I think it refers to, then I approve.

• 2 weeks later...

You are using different historian's views as well as primary documents to make your case. So you would be presenting evidence for BOTH sides, and then saying which side has stronger evidence (and why) and then giving the "answer" to your RQ, which is ultimately your opinion based on the evidence you've read.

My history EE has been done to death I'm sure (WWII, Pearl Harbor) but I still managed to get a good mark on it even though it wasn't an original idea or presenting any new evidence because I was able to justify myself well.

Well in the end my RQ will be "How did the participation of the USSR during WWII influenced on the fall of Germany?" (My EE's in Spanish, so I hope I translated the question correctly).

So, as long as MY conclusion is well developed throughout the whole essay (despite being similar to someone else's), its OK, right?

Thanks for the help ! :D

(to maerad: the DT in my username stands for "Dream Theater" )