Historical Investigation

AlonsoDT

I'm doing mine on Winston Churchill's speeches and its effects over British performance during WWII. My general outline goes like this: relate the speeches with their respective historical events and then see the effects over the population. I haven't had any problems on gathering info for the first part, but I'm not quite sure how to deal with the second one.

Help, please? :D

I saw a documentary the other day on Robert Menzies (Australian prime minister at the beginning of WWII), which contains detail on his visit to England and relationship with Churchill. In that it got footages of Churchill speaking to the British people and his famous 'Victory' gesture. There were shots of people cheering as he spoke and stuff. So maybe as well as books, other (visual) sources may be of use.

Another thought: could you possibly interview someone (that's old enough but still around) to tell his/her personal feelings or what he heard from parents etc. towards Churchill and his speeches? - not quite sure how realistic it is for you...

It's a great topic and good luck!

• Like 2

To add to above, find if public opinion changed by looking at statistics/opinion polls. I don't know if you'll be able to find conclusive ones, but in the best case scenario, you could have one of a British defeat and public response before and after Churchill gave a speech. I found a book for my IA that had a bunch of information from polls and talked about the reliability as well, so that was good, although I didn't use it much.

Also look at if the number of volunteers for the military surged right after a well-received speech, if you can. Look at what happened to war bonds.

• Like 1