EE English? History? or Psychology

vanilla chai

We just started our EE process and I came up with some questions that I was interested in, however I can't quite decide which would work out better.

If I did my EE on English A1 I was thinking of discussing dystopian society in 1984, Handmaid's Tale, and the Giver, but I'm not quite sure how to narrow that down.

For History I wanted to discuss how Princess Diana and how she changed the view of women.

I'm not really sure about psychology, but I'm thinking in the direction of memory distortion

Hmm...Another thing is, I'm not sure I could find a good advisor if I did my EE in history because I don't know many of the history teachers in my school and most of them are intimidating :D I know my SL History teacher pretty well, but he's also the IB coordinator and has probably been filled up already. Also, I heard that it's very hard to get a good grade on an English EE and that kinda worries me as well D: Anyways thanks in advance for the help :)

Speaking from personal experience, I would recommend an English EE. I was actually in the same position as you, unsure whether to choose English, History or Psychology for my EE but I made my decision for these reasons;

Firstly, History EE's require a LOT of research. And I mean a lot. If that's your thing, and you are passionate about the area of history you are researching then it's definitely worth it, but for me, History is a bit of a drag and I don't like research that much, so I wouldn't do history.

Psychology EE's have the potential to be really interesting and engaging but I find that with the level of psychology one has gotten from 1-1.5 years in the Psych HL course an EE on it is very challenging, unless of course you have quite a good background understanding of Psychology.

English EE's, to me, are actually the easiest type you can do. There is not too much research involved as you mainly use the texts you analyse, I had about 9 sources and i've heard thats quite a lot for an English EE. English EE's allow you to be very creative and fee-thinking, which I found made it easier to do. But to be fair to the other subjects, I do prefer English and I was passionate about my topic so that made it seem easier. I don't think that it is too hard to do got a good grade on an English EE if you follow the marking criteria carefully (I did this and i'm predicted an A), have a focused question and analyse your text a LOT. Using 3 different texts like you are proposing might be too much, I did 2 poems and that just fit into the word limit.

The most important thing is that you pick a topic in a subject that you will be interested in enough to write 4000 words on it - so I would advise you choose the subject you like the most and follow the marking criteria exactly.

In my opinion, I think a history EE would be the easiest. Once you have a topic and a decent amount of research there isnt that much holding you back :study: keep in mind though, this is coming from a non-historian.. so dont take my word too strongly.

I am doing my EE in psych and I enjoy it, but it is a bit difficult. I am finding it similar to how I would write a psych essay or exam question. Your topic sounds good, you could just explore and talk about cognitive psychology in relation to memory distortion.

As for english.. it is important to really narrow down your topic and to make sure that you know what you are discussing and how the texts relate to your topic. One of my friends in my grade wasted a lot of time reading books trying to find one to analyse properly, he almost gave up in the end.

Overall, like laryxle said, it is important that you are actually interested in what you plan on doing your EE on :P otherwise it will just drag you down. Picking an easy option is one thing, but something you will enjoy (or at least be mildly intrigued by) is more worthwhile.

Thanks for the help! So a psychology EE wouldn't be that great of an idea would it? I'm not so much of a fan of the essay/exam questions, but I really like the class.

I'm still really confused as to whether I should do English A1 or History, but since I'm only doing SL History, English would probably be the better option right?