Anyone doing a Physics EE?

Guest claytee

Yes, do chill. Schools set their own "internal deadlines" (thanks Admin). I'm doing mine in Physics, on how a crystal heated by a laser will expand to disrupt the lasers beam. Very interesting, and quite fun! I've been really lucky, as our school has an agreement with the "local" Norwegian Defence Research Establishment, so we can do some experiments there. It's a really good tip to check if there are any research companies close to your school. They'll help you a lot!

Guest Murasaki no Ryuu
It's due on nov 1st?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

I thought it was sometime in january!!!!!!!

:0 :0 :0 I'm screeeeewwwwwwweedddddd.........

No no no no nooo

That's only for my senior class, at my highschool.

This deadline was so that we could have gotten everything in order by then.

You aren't screwed. I am. LOL.

• 1 month later...
Guest liquidblot

ooo cool~ so im not the only one who wants to do a physics EE, im thinking about doing something with car shapes and their efficiency in the speed etc..

or maybe about time traveling (if its physics >_<)

PS: actually, you could score high on the topic of time traveling, you should write about the possibilities, and relating it to the laws of physics by Einstein and Newton, since they had talked about the possibility of time travelling =P

Edited by liquidblot

• 3 weeks later...
FYI you can't get A+
You can have A+, a guy from my school get A+ and his essay was on physics, but I think he wasa genius or sth cause he never stopped learning. Or maybe he just was hard-working..ok. :P but he get A+. Edited by Agata

• 2 weeks later...
<_< Time travel? Could he do experiment on that? That may be why he got the C

exactly...how can one do an experiment on time travel...I bet his paper was more theoretical than involving physics. Other physics topics that I heard are not suitable with experiments is aerodynamics!! how can one do an experiment on that?

Hey guys,

I would like your opinion on this and I have asked this to many others as well....

I rly want to do my EE on physics or even maths (second choice though) but i have heard that they tend to get scored lower than other subjects like history and economics. So do u think i should think of another subject where i have a better chance of getting a higher score....In addition, my econ teacher is rly bad and he is not even sure about EE himself. My friend who is in HL with me wants to do her EE on econ and she has chosen the SL teacher as her supervisor instead of her own teacher!!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I've finished and handed the draft for my physics ee :) finally it's over! I do recommend doing an experiment if you plan to do your ee in physics since it helps with the personal involvement criteria. I did mine on fluids..it was pretty fun :P but it takes patience, otherwise i would have given up and chosen another subject ..hehe

Guest AragornEllessar
Other physics topics that I heard are not suitable with experiments is aerodynamics!! how can one do an experiment on that?

FYI, there are three students [including me] doing their EE in aerodynamics in my school. One built a wind tunnel, one is using model airplanes and the other one is using CAD models to do the experiments.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm giving in my proposal to do a EE on physics tomorrow. I'm in first year IB and we just touched on the EE. I'm going to try and do it on drag, especially what affects it. My tittle isn't specific enough but I'm going to arrow it down soon.

You have it backwards; nothing effects drag, drag is an aerodynamic friction force that acts against objects as they travel through space. Objects don't effect drag, rather drag effects objects, and how an object is constructed will effect the amount of drag it encounters. Maybe that's what you meant.

• 3 weeks later...

Awww man... you guys make it sound like doing a physics ee is like suicide or something :yes: im doing mine in physics... and i feel im like shooting myself in the foot.. now you tell me :yes:

Just wondering, is it really REALLY necessary to do an experiment for a physics ee to get a good grade?? coz i was under the impression that doing a completely theoretical one was ok, as long as you found some data (from a reputable secondary source) to back it up.

Well, our Physics teacher gave us an example of a student who wrote his EE on how a machine that deals with radioactivity or something works (can't remember what it was exactly). She told us the EE was very good, but it only received a B - she said that it was probably because he didn't conduct an experiment. Basically, I guess what she was trying to say was that you need to conduct an experiment of some kind to do well.

Is anyone interested in writing a physics EE or I am the only one?

I did mine on physics. It was tough, and I had to get information from outside the IB SL physics course that I took last year, but I wouldn't say that its impossible. Of course, I haven't gotten my grade back on it, but my advisor said that it made sense. My topic question was "what is the torque required to reverse the rotation of the earth."