2 HL Sciences

SCR

So I have been thinking about applying for IB and I really would like to do it. I want to be a dentist or get into med school after I am done with high school. Currently I am in grade 10 and I have registered for only gr 11/12 CERTIFICATE. I dont want to do diploma because it involves commiting so much..CAS, EE, etc and I would rather focus on doing IB on the subjects I enjoy. I applied for:

HL biology

HL chem

HL pyschology

(I can only take 3 or less HL subjects). Right now I'm having a lot of trouble with the courses I chose.. mainly everyone is telling me doing 2 HL sciences is suicide (or something along those lines) but I do enjoy science, I'm just nervous with everyone telling me doing HL chem and bio will be way too tough but I wont even be doing full diploma so its not like I have to focus on 3 other IB subjects. What do you think? Much thanks, x

Doing HL Chem and HL Physics is generally considered suicide, but HL Chem and HL Bio are manageable, no worries (all people who want to do Dentistry or Medicine do these two!). Especially if you're not doing the full diploma, I don't think you should have any problems. And in all fairness, Psychology seems as much as humanity as a science, so those three in combination should be cool.

Have you checked you don't need the diploma to get into medical school? It depends where you want to apply, but I know that in the UK they don't even consider non-Diploma candidates (I think for any subject, be it Dentistry, Medicine or Land Economy!), so you should definitely make sure in advance if you haven't already! (:

• Like 1

I'm doing HL Chem and Bio too, as part of a whole diploma, and I'm feeling quite optimistic about the whole thing. I'm really not worried about doing two HL sciences - I've talked to plenty of the students who graduated last year, many of whom did two sciences at HL, and they all did really well. Also, considering that there are mad people who do three sciences HL, I really wouldn't stress, especially seeing as you're only doing certificates - on that front, I'd say definitely check requirements for the courses you want to get into - you might be better off doing the entire diploma.

• Like 1

You shouldn't worry about chemistry HL, it's fairly easy compared to the other sciences.

but about Biology you can take it, but i advice you to study hard for it. it's hard but not impossible, so go on with your choices.

you know your abilities more than anyone does, so if you think you can do it, then go on.

especially that you're taking only 3 subjects, which is good, since you'll have more time to study and focus on those.

good luck anyways.

• Like 1

I hear from a lot of my complaining friends that Biology is very memorization-based so if you're good with swallowing lots and lots of facts and names then it should be a breeze for you - the majority of Biology students here seem to self-study using the textbook.

Chemistry is quite a diverse subject so I can't really think of a certain quality that would be super helpful. There's an element of memorization for the things you just can't figure out with the information they give you (I was just tested on the Period 3 oxides and chlorides and their reactions with water and the chemical properties of the reactants because my teacher needed to know we took the time to remember the things that need to be memorized), and there's also the math aspect (so far this applies with Stoichiometry, which has to do with calculations of the number of moles, and the Ideal Gas Law which has to do with calculating changes in pressure/volume of gases). And of course like (presumably) all sciences, there's the analytical part involved; there are usually lots of tricky questions in the tests. But if you take the time to learn it (or, if you are lucky like me in getting a good teacher,) it honestly is a lot of fun.

As for the whole IB subject context, perhaps you should drop Psychology? It may be an interesting course but strictly in terms of medicine/dentistry it isn't that helpful, and according to my university counselor you can apply for a major in Psychology in the UK with just one HL science (like me), and US/other university systems tend to be less strict about subject combinations.

• Like 1

I'm doing HL Chem and Bio too, as part of a whole diploma, and I'm feeling quite optimistic about the whole thing. I'm really not worried about doing two HL sciences - I've talked to plenty of the students who graduated last year, many of whom did two sciences at HL, and they all did really well. Also, considering that there are mad people who do three sciences HL, I really wouldn't stress, especially seeing as you're only doing certificates - on that front, I'd say definitely check requirements for the courses you want to get into - you might be better off doing the entire diploma.

Really? You know I actually sort of do want to do diploma but I'm scared at the same time. I don't wanna to be extremely overwhelmed with all of the work. Doing 7 IB subjects, CAS and extened essay just seems so demanding. I'm frightened about failing or not doing great in school from so much work. I hear about people not sleeping at night and how its just better to not to IB. The thing is though the university I want to go to especially looks at IB diploma and hasnt really said much about certificate.. but it's like what's the point of doing full diploma if I don't want to even use english, math, etc. How are things with you and IB? Thanks for the reply :no:

Doing HL Chem and HL Physics is generally considered suicide, but HL Chem and HL Bio are manageable, no worries (all people who want to do Dentistry or Medicine do these two!). Especially if you're not doing the full diploma, I don't think you should have any problems. And in all fairness, Psychology seems as much as humanity as a science, so those three in combination should be cool.

Have you checked you don't need the diploma to get into medical school? It depends where you want to apply, but I know that in the UK they don't even consider non-Diploma candidates (I think for any subject, be it Dentistry, Medicine or Land Economy!), so you should definitely make sure in advance if you haven't already! (:

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I definitely know that IB diploma is a lot more beneficial but I just don't know if I want to do it.. I want to try but it's mainly my mind that is afraid of being overwhelmed. Is it all really worth it though, all that work? My first university that I want to get into especially looks at IB diploma.. so maybe I will try IB diploma out.

Edited by sweetnsimple786
You can use MultiQuote to quote multiple things in the same post. =)

Hey!

I am doing the full diploma and am taking both Chem and Bio HL. I am generally good in sciences, even though I don't enjoy them, so it works for me, but I spend quite a lot of time studying for both subjects.

It is true that Biology HL is a lot of fact memorisation, so you need to handle that. I mean, if you want to go into dentistry or med then you've just got to do Bio HL, i mean, if you're not doing Bio then why do med? Anyways.

I also think Chem HL is a very very good choice for med/dentist school because those professions still involve quite a lot of chemistry.

Psychology, go ahead if that interests you! I would have liked to take it if my school had the option, I think. Also psychology has a lot of overlap with being a medic- i.e. on terms of social interaction, "the sickness is first of all in the mind" etc... so I think it really is a good choice.

As for the whole certificate/diploma thing: I would really, strongly advise you to check with the uni you want to go to after IB that they accept certificate. Many uni's don't. They won't even consider certificate. Please check, you don't want to be wasting 2 years of your life doing certificate if it's not going to help you get into uni.

It's true that IB diploma is a lot of hard work, sleepless nights, etc., but really a lot of that is also IB students destressing by complaining about how stressing IB is. Once you get into it, your brain gets used to it (the first months are the hardest), and then you just make sure you get assignments in on time and you'll do fine.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I definitely know that IB diploma is a lot more beneficial but I just don't know if I want to do it.. I want to try but it's mainly my mind that is afraid of being overwhelmed. Is it all really worth it though, all that work? My first university that I want to get into especially looks at IB diploma.. so maybe I will try IB diploma out.

Well there's no point in doing the certificates if they don't count for anything or are going to stop you going to University. Even if it's not a basic requirement, it will stop you being such a competitive candidate and the courses you name are generally hugely competitive for places. The reason they want the diploma is because it's a lot of effort and requires you probably stepping outside your comfort zone in terms of your academic strengths. You should try and find out if any people who've got into the Uni you want to go to ever did so without the diploma. Also, harsh as it sounds, chances are if you can't cope with the diploma, you won't be able to cope with Medical/Dentistry courses which are generally quite intense.

Most people do complete the full Diploma. Is there anything specific you are worried about, or just the workload? Is there an alternative course you can take rather than the IB? A Levels in Psychology, Biology and Chemistry are far more valuable than certificates in HL Psychology, Biology and Chemistry, for instance. They're no harder, they're just not designed to be part of a Diploma so people can't discriminate against you!

Also in response to the previous poster, I just thought I'd say that actually Biology is optional for Medical school (in the UK, this is) and Chemistry is compulsory. I'm not sure about other countries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, thanks for clearing this up.

Now, an even more important question: What is the Group 4 project?

I know It would have been more sensible to ask that before my last question, but. . . :D

Every school has a different take on it, but it's basically a lab that examines some topic that can be investigated from many different scientific perspectives, so it can be looked at from a physics and a chem and a bio perspective, for example.

This topic has lots of different examples and will probably give you a better idea.

Edited by Sonneteer_Trombonist

So I have been thinking about applying for IB and I really would like to do it. I want to be a dentist or get into med school after I am done with high school. Currently I am in grade 10 and I have registered for only gr 11/12 CERTIFICATE. I dont want to do diploma because it involves commiting so much..CAS, EE, etc and I would rather focus on doing IB on the subjects I enjoy. I applied for:

HL biology

HL chem

HL pyschology

(I can only take 3 or less HL subjects). Right now I'm having a lot of trouble with the courses I chose.. mainly everyone is telling me doing 2 HL sciences is suicide (or something along those lines) but I do enjoy science, I'm just nervous with everyone telling me doing HL chem and bio will be way too tough but I wont even be doing full diploma so its not like I have to focus on 3 other IB subjects. What do you think? Much thanks, x

At my school we're only allowed to choose one science and that's Biology and Chemistry. I myself prefer Chemistry. In Biology you have to memorize things. You have to do that in Chemistry too but It's more applying what you know with that memorization. I myself wouldn't tackle two sciences but if you feel that you can handle then be my guest. Only do it if you're passionate about it and stay optimistic about what you learn, because you'll see a difference in how much information you retain. I hope this helps. :bawling:

Contact your prospective schools and find out their expectations for program entry by IB students. I took 2 HL sciences (after switching out of music) and found the workload very manageable. Take the courses you need for the program you want entry into, if you can't make it through the IB you chose, find another program at university!