Talking with your best friends - teachers

Yana_Banana

Some, or I would say most, of the IB teachers are quite peculiar individuals, and during the IB studies you get to know some of them quite well, as well as they get to know you (especially EE supervisors, CAS-leaders and others who you spend loads of time with.) Discussing various topics with the teachers can at its best be fascinating, inspiring, enlightening even... but in the worst case scenario it can be painfully awkward..

As we know, all teachers have different personalities, and should therefore be approached from different angles and in different manners. Nevertheless, all the teachers are high authorities in our little school hierarchy, and should be treated accordingly; in friendly and respectful manner. :coffee:

Without lecturing no more, I would like to ask you, dear fellow IB'ers, about your personal experiences; tell about your best buddies, tell us about your greatest intellectual discussions, tell us how do you deal with "hard cases" and win them over, feel free to ask questions. Note: this is definately not concerning only TOK/Philosophy/Literature discussions (they just tend to HAPPEN spontaneously), but how about other subjects, such as biology and chemistry, or mathematics? What are the hot topics/smartest questions to ask your teacher, and show that you are interested?

Btw, the discussions do not always have to be related to school; as an example: once with a friend of mine, we stayed for hours after the end of the school day listening to our English teacher telling us about his packpacking adventures in India, when he was 18 years old. And that was heaps of fun! :)

Looking forward to your replies!

Wow that sounds nice. I wrote about my teachers, but the more I wrote, the more I knew I couldn't post it. My relationship with them is personal. I love my teachers. I've loved getting to know them and becoming a better scholar and person because of them. I didn't think I had the kind of relationship you do with any teacher, but when I started writing this, I realized there was one with whom I did. So thank you for helping me reach that realization. =)

I don't exactly have a personal relationship with my teachers, but I feel better about some teachers than others. My judgment of teachers used to be on the grades I would receive, but I have matured I guess, or not :coffee:

i didn't ever think about it that way though, I do have some teachers that I could treat with more respect

you writing about getting so close with teachers - it's the same in my ib college. and i love it. it's nice that it's not about ib ib ib, revising etc all the time but that you can chat about this and that with your teachers as well. some tell us about their kids and stuff and it really strenghtens the student-teacher relationship in my opinion, coz otherwise you'd see the teacher just as "teacher" i.e. kinda like a robot who's there to teach you and that's it, who doesn't have a personal life, too...