Chemistry Experiment

Lance H

Hi there,

At school I am designing a practical experiment to investigate factors the influence acid rain. I have decided to investigate the concentration of acid rain. The problem is that I don't know if the method in which I am investigating it will even work - hence I am asking you, the experts, on your opinion.

I have 4 ways that I am considering investigating it and they involve measuring the volume of the gas produced. The acid I am using is sulfuric (sulphuric) acid with concentrations of 1mol/L, 2mol/L, 3mol/L, 4mol/L and 5mol/L. The substance I am using to reaction is calcium carbonate. So these are my ideas:

1) React 1gram of calcium carbonate (powder) with 50mL of the different concentrations for a period of 120 seconds and measure the volume of gas produced after this time.

2) React 30g of calcium carbonate (small stones) with 50mL of the different concentrations for a period of 120 seconds and measure the volume of gas produced after this time.

3) React 1gram of calcium carbonate (powder) with 50mL of the different concentrations until a volume of 50mL is produced and measure the time it took to reach this volume.

4) React 30g of calcium carbonate (small stones) with 50mL of the different concentrations until a volume of 50mL is produced and measure the time it took to reach this volume.

If you could please give me your opinion on which of these would work and produce valid data it would be much appreciated. Or if you have any other ideas that could also be helpful.

Thank-you

Sameth

It all comes down to which instruments you use. 30g seems like quite a lot to me, but try and calculate the stoichometric amounts to figure out what amount you should use.

You need also to settle what factors exactly you are investigating. Is it the rate or amount of carbonate broken down?

I would need 25grams for the 5mol/L concentration. So to ensure in excess 30.00grams would be used.

Isn't measuring the volume of gas produced in 120 seconds a measure of the rate of reaction? As the faster the rate of reaction the more gas that would be produced in the given time. So by measuring the volume produced in a given time I am measuring the rate of reaction.

Cheers