IBFearless

Hey,

I'm planning on applying to Columbia University in the following programs:

Computer Science

Human Rights

Sociology

Psychology

Political Science

I plan to do Law after my undergrad, which is why I am interested in the above topics. However, I would like to know what kind of requirements, or what my IB grade needs to be to get into some of these programs.

I am currently doing:

Maths HL

Physics HL

Computer Science HL

English HL

Econ HL

French SL

Psychology SL

with my Computer Science as an extra certificate. Please tell me what you think my predicted grades would need to be. Thanks!

Since it is a university in the USA, you should not worry TOO much about your IB score because the university will look more into SAT scores and GPA. IB scores are, of course, good to have, but they will mainly help you since universities can grant credits for the classes.

"Does Columbia grant advanced standing or credit for standardized examinations? Yes, some advanced standing or credit may be granted for Advanced Placement, or International Baccalaureate courses. Only AP scores of 4 or 5 or IB scores of 6 or 7 (on higher level examinations) will be considered for advanced standing or credit. Columbia will grant a maximum of 16 credits toward the Bachelor's degree. Credit may also be granted for British A-level marks of A or B. Students whose secondary work was in other national systems may be granted credit in certain disciplines, pending review by the appropriate department at Columbia. For more detail, please consult the appropriate Bulletin for either Columbia College or The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science."

(Source: http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/admissions/faq/academic.php"

Therefore, unless the university sets their own minimum requirement for IB students, you should not worry about the score you get, but rather improve your SAT scores and keep up your GPA as high as possible.

• Like 1

I disagree with the above poster. Sure, SAT scores are important but no where near as important as your IB scores. Avident is correct, 40+ is what your scores should be around. Of course, US unis don't only look at IB scores they take into account SATs, ECs, Admissions Essay - but Columbia is a prestigious school and you'd need high IB scores to even get your foot halfway through the door.

You might want to pick IB subjects that are useful to you when you do your SAT Subject Tests. Columbia asks for three of them. These could be for example French, Physics, and Math, which you all have, so I think you're on the right track with your subejcts. Also, it never hurts to practice, practice, and practice Math and English so that you'll also ace the SAT Reasoning Test. English and Math HL are therefore good picks. Both IB scores and SAT scores are important for Columbia.

Before you end up having your heart set on Columbia, however, I'd suggest you take a look into whether you can actually afford it. Remember that at Columbia Financial Aid is only given to those who really need it; if you're from a middle-class family I doubt you'll receive much money. Moreover, Financial Aid is not need-blind at Columbia, so if you decide to apply for it, it will be even harder for you to get in. You might also want to explore other sources of funds in your home country, like the Fulbright Center.

Good luck! Columbia is a great university and I dreamt of going there for a long time. Unfortunately I wasn't able to afford to it in the end.

Edited by avident

• 4 weeks later...

I'm applying to Columbia this year (super nervous - I'm from Peru) so I've done a little research on the admissions topic

I also have an IB friend who got accepted last year so I'll basically refer to her stats:

She got a total 43 (yes) so she was a very good candidate in terms of IB

In terms of SATs not so much - got a mediocre 2050 in the SAT I and approx. 700 in her two SAT IIs (Bio M and Math II)

She took:

Biology HL

French HL

Geography HL

English A1 SL

Spanish A1 SL

Maths SL

EE: French

She got 50,000 of fin. aid even though she's an international (and attended the best, most expensive school here in Lima), so I believe theres hope for all of us =)

Edited by NGAngie

• 3 months later...

Moreover, Financial Aid is not need-blind at Columbia, so if you decide to apply for it, it will be even harder for you to get in.

Just for everyone's information, according to the letter I got last week, admission is need-blind for citizens of the United States, Canada, and Mexico, for permanent residents of the United States, and for those in the United States on refugee visas.

Good luck getting in! I'm applying there too.

Edited by Bardia K.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

US schools do not care at all about IB exam scores, although there is probably little to no chance of being accepted if you are not enrolled in IB or other such courses (AP, etc.).

They only care about your grades (as in semester) in the courses.

If you want much of a chance of getting into Columbia you'll probably need 2200+ on the SAT, and if you're in America, a 4.0 (or near) GPA.

The essay, extracurriculars, and recommendations are all important too.

Here are the 25-75th Percentile SAT scores for Columbia:

Total: 1990-2290

Critical Reading: 660-760

Math: 670-780

Writing: 660-750

Hmm, I think that for international students they will place more emphasis on IB exams than they will for US students. Columbia is sooo hard to get into, I wish you all the best! :) 5 HLs should really impress them though, since those schools really like to see students challenging themselves with harder course loads.

Guest Pingg

Hey, I'm planning on applying to Columbia too. : )

woo ~

I think Columbia really appreciates IB kids.

There are quite a few students from my high school who went there and all did IB.

I know that isn't particularly saying something, but I feel like that counts for something. : )

Edited by Pingg