Subject choices?

Callie

If you want to go into science, I'd suggest eliminating music and taking both sciences, either one at SL or both at HL. If you're looking for a break in your academic schedule, Music, from what I heard, is one of the most challenging Arts courses and unless you do really well in your current music classes or have a passion for music, don't take it.

I'm not sure about Geography or Economics and as far as your second language, do whatever feels more comfortable. If you know Mandarin like the back of your hand, take it. However, if you're nowhere near 2+ years of experience with the language (being grammatically correct is as important if not more as fluency), stick with ab initio.

Don't do music unless you've frolicked in music haven since you were a child.

Do the following this is obviously my view but it is also good :

Since you're an anglophone I take it do English A1 SL

Second language do Chinese B since it's Chinese I suggest SL but if it were French B then HL

Humanity do Economics (Geography is terrible) HL

Science do Chem HL

Maths : do math SL

Extra subject do Biology HL

So overall : Econ, Chem, Bio HL

English, Chinese and Math SL

To me that's a pretty damn cool subject combination.

If you don't want to go into science I suggest not taking chem, because bio is a lot easier.

Regarding humanities I beg to differ with the poster above :D. I take geography and I love it (I suppose it depends on the teacher but its also a fairly easy subject to self study if your teacher isn't great). Additionally, you do not get university credits for taking econ (if you're going to the US) while you do get them for geography. But every geography course is different anyway so even if you did retake you wouldn't be learning the same things over again the way you would for econ. So yes, I strongly suggest that you take geography! :)

Edited by masochist

Yes, if you are considering Sciences, then it may be advisable to drop Music HL and take on a second science.

A note about Group 2 courses: although it may seem as if Spanish a.b. would be "easier," just try imagine having to learn an entirely new language in the span of 2 years - even less, given the internal assessments you'd have to do. If you feel like you're already comfortable with Mandarin and have a solid understanding of basic to intermediate vocabulary and grammar, then I'd suggest doing Mandarin B.

Thanks for all your replies :D

I think I'll stick with geography because the syllabus is quite similar to the advance course I'm taking now.

In regards to the sciences, i think I'll take chem because I've heard bio is all memorising.

And as for music, I'm still undecided. My music teacher has been urging me to study music practically since I met her(actually she wants me to study music in college). However, if I choose music I can only do one science which is bad because I also really love science.

I'm not really sure what to choose. If I don't take bio do you think they'll cover all the stuff I missed in college?

And as for music, I'm still undecided. My music teacher has been urging me to study music practically since I met her(actually she wants me to study music in college). However, if I choose music I can only do one science which is bad because I also really love science.

I'm not really sure what to choose.

Music is a really difficult arts course with lots of compositions/performances and apparently very theory intensive (a friend who takes it told me that for their exams they have to be able to name the artist of a song they have not ever studied). I don't take music but I've heard its extremely tough. Which one do you like more? Either one is okay if you're planning on going into both music and sciences in US universities.

If I don't take bio do you think they'll cover all the stuff I missed in college?

Yes. If you're planning to go into sciences as well as music then I'd advise you to take chem - bio can be easily self studied and is easier to learn in college through an introductory course. Chem, however, is difficult and imo, the earlier you learn it the better.

As for music vs additional science: if all else fails, look at who your teachers will be if you choose each one. I am the friend that told masochist about the artist of a piece being in the exam mark scheme but that's really just the IB Music syllabus writers being unmusical and generally lazy (my music teacher has sent a lot of emails trying to clarify how the mark schemes specify bar numbers when no scores are provided, and how they can specify things like 4/4 meter on an unscored rock piece as opposed to 'quadruple meter' and how rock music can have a 'correct' score if by definition it is passed on aurally, and all the replies have been generally dismissive and ridiculous) but other than that my class isn't so worried about it because if your teacher is good you should be able to cover the characteristics of the music systematically and still get 19/20 even if you're unlucky enough not to know the artist.

If your music teacher thinks you're good enough to pursue it at college then you should be fine with analysis and the two years will just be brushing up on musicology (and composing/performing a bit if you're doing HL), which imho should be quite a bit less stressful and difficult than taking an additional science course (which of course may not necessarily be less enjoyable), especially since as a musician you probably already do some performance and composition and you can just reuse that.

Similarly, as a result of taking Music I take Chemistry as a single science and my teacher is amazing and it makes learning the material a lot more fun; all the other Chemistry classes here are Group 6 Chemistry and I have heard nothing but complaints from them regarding their teachers.

So yeah. In summary: if you have been "frolick[ing] in music haven since you were a child" :D then music might be appropriate for you, so if you really love both music and science equally then just pick the one that'll be less stressful or take less work! Consider the assessments/syllabus for both and the teachers you might get and choose the easier one.

EDIT: This is assuming that taking two sciences won't be required for whatever course you want to do at university. Of course, that is even more important than choosing the easier course so if you haven't then look up the course you are planning to take at the university you're planning to attend first!

Edited by Charizard