Best Dystopian Novels

Caustica

Whats with everyone and these dystopian novels, like what is so interesting about them?

the only one i read is the Chrysalids in Grade 9, and i hated it so much, like with passion. However i am willing to give Dystopian novels one more shot, i'm thinking of reading 1984 as it sounds great coming from you guys, and so many of guys seem to like it.

Whats with everyone and these dystopian novels, like what is so interesting about them?

the only one i read is the Chrysalids in Grade 9, and i hated it so much, like with passion. However i am willing to give Dystopian novels one more shot, i'm thinking of reading 1954 as it sounds great coming from you guys, and so many of guys seem to like it.

They're interesting to me because they're about the future, and many themes explored are really exaggerations of things that are happening/have happened in the past - their extreme versions. It's a more realistic type of scifi, I guess.

I loved Chrysalids :) Ending sucked though. 1984 IS a brilliant novel. Very different from Chrysalids, too. Give it a try! :P

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone read World War Z, by Max Brooks? It's a serious dystopian novel hiding in the illusion of lower brow mass market blood and gore literature.. Zombies but serious. And its awesome!

Film coming out over the next few years (Brad Pitt apparently).

Atwood's Handmaids Tale is fantastic too, very powerful book.

• 4 weeks later...

Brave New World by a longshot. Huxley is an absolute genius, and it's astounding how true and accurate his ruminations at the time seem to be, even beating out other greats like Orwell, who even wrote after Huxley did.

I will admit though Fahrenheit 451 is in a solid second place for me. Bradbury is one of my favourite writers ever, and this particular piece had such a nebulous, ethereal feel, a style indescribably different from any other I've read (including other Bradbury works, in fact.)

:) why not? I thought it was quite an intriguing novel. Maybe the 'feel' of it differs from translation to translation? Which translation did you read, if you remember?

Oh it's by Vintage if I remember correctly. I think I'm biased though as I was too absorbed by the story and style of 1984 and We's stream-of-consciousness style just didn't quite click with me : ) A few people in our class actually prefer it though : )

I like a lot of the books that have already been mentioned — Fahrenheit 451, The Handmaid's Tale, 1984. Uglies was okay, but I got tired of it after Pretties. Anthem was also unsatisfactory.

I think my favorite dystopian novel is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It's stark, compelling and bone-deep. I loved it.

The stories "Harrison Bergeron" and "Welcome to the Monkey House" by Vonnegut are also worth mentioning, even if they're not novels.

Edited by ronali
  • Like 1

I like a lot of the books that have already been mentioned — Fahrenheit 451, The Handmaid's Tale, 1984. Uglies was okay, but I got tired of it after Pretties. Anthem was also unsatisfactory.

I think my favorite dystopian novel is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It's stark, compelling and bone-deep. I loved it.

The stories "Harrison Bergeron" and "Welcome to the Monkey House" by Vonnegut are also worth mentioning, even if they're not novels.

I agree Pretties was boring, but the third book, Specials, was quite good. They are all teen fiction though and not nearly as good as the classic dystopian novels. The fourth book, Extras, was bad and almost unrelated to the first three - Tally hardly appears at all.

I agree about Anthem being unsatisfactory. I haven't read The Road; for some reason its plot doesn't seem so interesting. I've read Harrison Bergeron and it was quite good I agree, quite frightening as well. I love Vonnegut <3

Well, it's not a NOVEL, but Harrison Bergeron anyone? It was written by Kurt Vonnegaut, and it is pretty good.

That being said, I'm in the Brave New World worship league. :( Chrysalids was good too, but the ending was kind of unsatisfactory.

Ahh, Brave New World is amazing I agree! Have you read Island? It's also by Huxley, written after BNW, and is more utopian than dystopian. In some ways I found Island to be better at Brave New World!

And I agree about the ending of The Chrysalids being unsatisfactory. It seemed like Wyndham had just written himself into a situation he couldn't find a way to resolve, so just invented some magical saviours that easily solved everything with their super technology.

I agree Pretties was boring, but the third book, Specials, was quite good. They are all teen fiction though and not nearly as good as the classic dystopian novels. The fourth book, Extras, was bad and almost unrelated to the first three - Tally hardly appears at all.

I agree about Anthem being unsatisfactory. I haven't read The Road; for some reason its plot doesn't seem so interesting. I've read Harrison Bergeron and it was quite good I agree, quite frightening as well. I love Vonnegut :P

Well, it's not a NOVEL, but Harrison Bergeron anyone? It was written by Kurt Vonnegaut, and it is pretty good.

That being said, I'm in the Brave New World worship league. XD Chrysalids was good too, but the ending was kind of unsatisfactory.

Ahh, Brave New World is amazing I agree! Have you read Island? It's also by Huxley, written after BNW, and is more utopian than dystopian. In some ways I found Island to be better at Brave New World!

And I agree about the ending of The Chrysalids being unsatisfactory. It seemed like Wyndham had just written himself into a situation he couldn't find a way to resolve, so just invented some magical saviours that easily solved everything with their super technology.

I'll look into Island. I'd heard Huxley wrote a utopian novel, but I wasn't too sure about the title, but I'll definitely check it out. :( And agreed about the Chrysalids. I was honestly hoping for a better ending where we'd at least know what happened to the other characters, but it just jumped right to when they arrive at Sealand. I wanted a better explanation, damnit. :K

• 2 weeks later...

I see it's been brought up a lot, but I have to mention it: Brave New World is a one of the best novels I've ever come across. It's also a perfect example of some of the extremes humanity could potentially reach, which I guess is what dystopian literature is all about. The conditioning of children, the categorizing of people by intelligence, the encourgement of changing partners as often as possible... It's all so well thought out. And the allusion to the Tempest throughout the book is very clever. A Clockwork Orange has been my favorite book for the longest time. I have to admit, however, that I like the actual usage of language more than the conent intself. It's interesting to read a book that only people who speak a Slavic language can fully understand. Has anyone read A Wanting Seed? Also by Burgess. It's a cool idea, but the story never really picks up.

I see it's been brought up a lot, but I have to mention it: Brave New World is a one of the best novels I've ever come across. It's also a perfect example of some of the extremes humanity could potentially reach, which I guess is what dystopian literature is all about. The conditioning of children, the categorizing of people by intelligence, the encourgement of changing partners as often as possible... It's all so well thought out. And the allusion to the Tempest throughout the book is very clever. A Clockwork Orange has been my favorite book for the longest time. I have to admit, however, that I like the actual usage of language more than the conent intself. It's interesting to read a book that only people who speak a Slavic language can fully understand. Has anyone read A Wanting Seed? Also by Burgess. It's a cool idea, but the story never really picks up.

Aha, I see your BNW-inspired username! I never did quite like that character though. I liked John the Savage more. (Was he called John?)

I really want to read A Clockwork Orange since it's been mentioned a few times. Have you watched the movie?

Aha, I see your BNW-inspired username! I never did quite like that character though. I liked John the Savage more. (Was he called John?)

I really want to read A Clockwork Orange since it's been mentioned a few times. Have you watched the movie?

Both the film and the book are masterpieces, for different reasons.