Best Dystopian Novels

Caustica

• 2 weeks later...

I'm completely serious when I say that I interpret Dante's Inferno is the first dystopia, even though that clearly isn't what Dante meant by it.

My favorite is Brave New World, because it's actually happening.

I've read a lot of Kurt Vonnegut and he's really poignant.

I'm still planning to read Walden 2.

• 4 weeks later...

1984 and the Handmaid's Tale.. sooo good. i'm so glad we have these two books for our exam texts.

the third one is One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. it's okay, but i prefer the other two. there are more similarities.

• 3 weeks later...

Oryx and Crake is my favourite. Margaret Attwood really knew what she was doing with her dystopias :P

Oryx and Crake is my favourite dystopian page turner too. Atwood seamlessly addresses so many significant contemporary issues including the environment, genetic engineering, sex trafficking, TNCs etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Now, hoping it isn't a big issue if I'm answering to quite an old topic...

I'd put in this category 1984, Ugglies Trilogy (Scott Westerfeld - Not "Extras", though, because it didn't fit in with the previous ones at all!), "The Giver" by Louis Lowry (One of my three favorite books, sequels excluded) and possibly Farenheit 451, although I didn't particularly love it.

Happy Easter! ;D