Type I -- Infinite Summation

ballon

i got this IA recently and i'm another one of the confused ones!i don't even know where to begin!

for the first part when it says calculate the sum, is there any specific formula i have to find or do i just work out the values after substituting in the values of n?

also, the general formula you all mention, is that in regards to the second part of the task where you have to find Tn (a,x)?

i'm thankful for any help, it would be much appreciated!

=)

They've given us a new math internal assessment about infinite summation. But I couldn't find anything on the internet and I really need help because I did not understand anything!!!!!! its deadline is 4 days from now! If there's anyone who already solve it please help me!

Post by: Mahuta

2 TOPICS MERGED

I'm having some trouble with the second part of this. What does it mean when it says T9 (2,5) is the sum of the first nine terms when a=2 and x=5 ??

can someone tell me how to plot sn and n in excel im very confused

try using another program, other than excel, it will give you better graphs!

What has everyone been advised to write in their intro and conclusion??

I don't think there really is much to write in the intro. Try blabing about mathematical theory etc.

For graphing in excel, you might try using the sequential mode on the GDC for finding n and Sn on a nice table format.

Then just coy those values onto excel and graph them.

when it says to continue the investigation to find a general statement (on page 2), its just continue to do the same thing?

does anyone know what to do when it says to test the validity?

hi so this is my first IA to for sl math

Im a bit confused for question one

It says find Sn for first n terms

so to to find Sn all i do is plug in different values of N in the terms ?

like S0=1

S1 = ln2/1 = 0.693147

s2 = ln2^2 / 2! = 0.240227

Im not sure if finndin SN like this is right? am i doing this right? appreciate any pointers thank you

Could anyone please post the assignment or post a link where I can find it? I lost mine, can't copy the paper before the day after tomorrow and would like to work on it tomorrow - please, help would be much appreciated! D:

Cross that, found it :)

@khan: S(n) is not the single terms but their sum - S(1) therefore is u(0)+u(1) and so on

Edited by Latanya

how do you describe the limitation that a^x does not equal the sum when n>5? what's the reason for it?

why does the sum not equal a^x when n>5?

i know this is a limitation, but what's the cause?

Edited by Marsupilami
Please use the edit button instead of multi-posting. :) Thanks

I'm having troubles for that last part too. My values greater than 5 did not fit a^x and I have no idea how to explain it v.v

I'm also not sure about what it's asking about Tn, what does defining Tn(a, x) mean?

Tn(a,x) is another way of writing Sn :(

How many limitations did you all have for part two of the investigation? :D

Edited by IBavictim

When it refers to Sn, is it really referring to sum Sn? Like when it asks you to plot it (I'm assuming it wants you to show that the series converges, right? which would be sum Sn, not Sn) and when it asks about what the plot suggests about the value of Sn as n approaches infinity? I sure as hell hope it is referring to the sum...