Type I -- Infinite Summation

ballon

Hi my math portfolio is due tomorrow and I have a few questions I need answered :)

I have attached the portfolio but basic summary is that i have to find the sum of an infinite geometric sequence

first I am confused about "explain how you arrived at the general statement". so if I got a general statement of as n-> infinity, Sn-> something, then how can i explain it? In what ways can i provide a "correct, informal justification of the general statement"? I know I lack the mathematical skills to formally develop a proof for it.. So I don't really know how I can do this. Any help will be appreciated :)

Second, for my introduction I wanted to talk about some applications of infinite geometric sequences and sums but I haven't been able to find any... Do you guys know an instance when this is ever used?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE :S

Edited by Mahuta ♥
Do not put your portfolio online!!

Hi my math portfolio is due tomorrow and I have a few questions I need answered XD

I have attached the portfolio but basic summary is that i have to find the sum of an infinite geometric sequence

first I am confused about "explain how you arrived at the general statement". so if I got a general statement of as n-> infinity, Sn-> something, then how can i explain it? In what ways can i provide a "correct, informal justification of the general statement"? I know I lack the mathematical skills to formally develop a proof for it.. So I don't really know how I can do this. Any help will be appreciated :)

Second, for my introduction I wanted to talk about some applications of infinite geometric sequences and sums but I haven't been able to find any... Do you guys know an instance when this is ever used?

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE :D

I did this portfolio already & you can develop a formal proof for your general statement.

& I never wrote anything about real life applications of the sequences, but I don't think you need to... or at least I didn't.

we didn't get our portfolios back yet, so I'm sorry I can't help you more!

:P:P what the hell is this discussions?

if someone wants to help, just do it by putting the correct answer on the forum

Please read the Mathematics Forum Rules: The IA first before saying this kind of thing. I quoted some relevant parts of the rules below:

Do not post mathematical solutions to questions about Internal Assessment tasks. IB rules clearly state that students are not allowed to gain direct help, whether oral or written, in writing their mathematics IA tasks. Thus, even if a student is desperate in proving a statement or finding the correct method to problems, you may not give the answer to him. You may, however, give an answer of general nature (without actual calculation) that will direct a student to the methods required to find a solution. For example, you might advise a student to look at solving a simultaneous equation using matrices. You may not, however, solve the matrix equation for the student.

All posts containing answers to IAs will be deleted and the users responsible for these will be warned. Should further malpractice take place, the site reserves the right to report the user's IP address to the IB for further investigation.

• Like 1

what the hell is this discussions?

Oh right, you come here, get the right answer without working for it and get the same credit as the one who worked it out? Totally fair.

The purpose of this thread is not to give you the right answer, it's to help you to get that answer yourself!

can someone please post their infinite summation portfolio? i wanna see what the finished product looks like...

please im begging you.

No.

No one is allowed to post their portfolio, because if it comes up when the IBO is checking for plagiarism, they're going to lose this diploma, even though if the copy online is theirs. Plus, share hints and tip..but not the full work.

:P:D what the hell is this discussions?

Please read the Mathematics Forum Rules: The IA first before saying this kind of thing. I quoted some relevant parts of the rules below:

Do not post mathematical solutions to questions about Internal Assessment tasks. IB rules clearly state that students are not allowed to gain direct help, whether oral or written, in writing their mathematics IA tasks. Thus, even if a student is desperate in proving a statement or finding the correct method to problems, you may not give the answer to him. You may, however, give an answer of general nature (without actual calculation) that will direct a student to the methods required to find a solution. For example, you might advise a student to look at solving a simultaneous equation using matrices. You may not, however, solve the matrix equation for the student.

All posts containing answers to IAs will be deleted and the users responsible for these will be warned. Should further malpractice take place, the site reserves the right to report the user's IP address to the IB for further investigation.

thank you for your advise, I didnt know these things :(

Edited by Mahuta ♥
No text speak!-Thanks

Hello everyone.

Sorry to interfere in this argument/discussion about what's allwed and not allowed.

So basically, I have all the questions covered at this piont and have determined a (valid) general statement for the value of Sn as n reaches infinity, BUT my math teacher claims to have to also make "informal reasoning".

He says that just showing more examples in which you apply the general statement is not enough - but you need to TALK ABOUT WHY/HOW YOU KNOW YOUR STATEMENT IS TRUE to score highly.

A genuis friend of mine who thinks math higher is a joke glanced at the sheet and told me he could prove the statement using calculus and was ready to write it out for me.

We haven't covered calculus though so I wouldn't naturally be able to prove my general statement using the calculations he was ready to show me and I am reluctant to believe that's what my math teacher is looking for.

This is my first math portfolio ever and im so baffled at this point and clueless about what he could want me to do that would be possible with my knowledge.

Does anyone know what my teacher means with "informally prove the statement" if I actually dont know the math to prove it?

So clueless.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.