I'm taking Chemistry, Physics and Biology this year...

fuzzyg101

Classes  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which to take HL...

• Chemistry
    • Physics
    • Biology

So basically, I ended up getting screwed out of contemp this year by our schools AMAZING scheduling abilities....I had an open slot in which they had IB Bio SL and Weight Training (blech) open, so I took bio. I was already in chemistry and physics by choice because I love the two to death and intend on taking them both HL. So far, the only real problem I've run in to is people telling me about how hard chem and phys are. Oh, and also GROUP 4 x 3. It burns, it really does. So, getting back to the point, I'm wondering if any of you chem/phys or even bio HL veterans can give me some advice as to which to take HL. Any help is greatly appreciated. :sadnod:

Guest Mr Canada

That depends on what you really like and is good at.

I think Physics and Chemistry is more mathematical and you need to use more applications while Biology is more memorizing. I excel at mathematics so for me the choice would be Physics. However the teacher also should be taken into consideration, I know it shouldn't but teachers do affect the grades of the courses you take.

From my own experience, when it comes to choosing a science subject at HL - Chemistry is the one that is the most useful for many uni courses but of course, this can depend on where and what. Physics is also very useful. If you look at the cambridge entrance requirement for instance - they recommend chemistry and/or physics at HL when you haven't decided yet on what to continue with and etc.

Like Mr Canada said - Biology is a lot to memorize and understand. Physics is very mathematical applicable. Chemistry is both.

hmmm... why taking all three???? isnt 2 of them enough??? nless ur future uni requires the 3 of them, i think u should stick with Chemistry SL (or if ur school offers DT SL) and physics HL. bt thats just me cuz i prefer chem over bio, and DT over chem...

DT: Design Technology (my friend who takes at HL says its pretty easy and fun i took it in 9th grade and im sure mad at me for not taking it in IB :P )

• 2 weeks later...

I've often heard that it's far easier to take up biology in first year university than it is to take up physics. So, in that sense, if you're interested in going into general sciences, I would take HL physics. However, as it as been mentioned previously, be conscious of the teacher and of your own skills. You're probably not going to get a good mark if the teacher has a bad reputation or you're not very fond of logical thinking (like me! :P So, I took bio...)

Well not a vet yet but I'm taking Chem and Physics HL. For your case I'd evaluate what you want to do for University. If your major has no relation to Bio then drop it. The G4's are hard enough without having to take all three :rofl: . Yes you may hate the weight class but think of this way, you'll go into Uni looking like an olyimpic athlete! With all the sleepless nights we get, we're sure to loose those pounds. But more seriously, I'm assuming this is a PE type class, this will make you feel a lot better during the day. Having all mental stress and little physical stress has really well,,, stressed me out.

I wish you good luck on your choice and Happy Holidays!

I also have to make that decision this year as well! and I choose to do HL Chemistry and HL Physic, dropping Bio. As everyone said, Chemistry and Physic are more universal and most universities tend to pick those with Chem / Physic. If you are planning to actually take three sciences then keep Bio SL and the other HLs or maybe considering dropping one to be SL because three of them will eventually kill your life.

This is also depending on "what you are going to do" after you graduate. If you are taking courses like this, it suppose to be some fields in engineering hopefully otherwise all these burdens will be worthless. Chem and Physic will definitely open more choices in engineering because many universities such as cambridge, oxford, MIT, etc only have requirements for those two and you can study BIO in university. As for MIT (i aim for this one), they grant extra credit for HL Physic / Math. Chemistry and Biology, you receive none but you have extra test so that you may receive some credits.

Hope this is useful :P and good luck with your decision :lol:

I would take HL physics. However, as it as been mentioned previously, be conscious of the teacher and of your own skills. You're probably not going to get a good mark if the teacher has a bad reputation

I am currently take phy HL because i like the subject and i think i am pretty good at it but our teacher is horrible because he never covers any of the chapters in details....he is not following the IB syllabus either and always gives us easy 9th grade problems photocopied from their book....

we have only cover half of three chapters so far (in one semester or 6 months!!!!) while in other course we have done like 13 chapters (math HL). I am scared beceause of our teacher and i plan to do some of the topics myself independently....

I am currently take phy HL because i like the subject and i think i am pretty good at it but our teacher is horrible because he never covers any of the chapters in details....he is not following the IB syllabus either and always gives us easy 9th grade problems photocopied from their book....

we have only cover half of three chapters so far (in one semester or 6 months!!!!) while in other course we have done like 13 chapters (math HL). I am scared beceause of our teacher and i plan to do some of the topics myself independently....

i hate to say this but it is EXTREMELY difficult to do that on your own.... for physics HL you need a teacher (and a good one), try to take outside tutoring. however, if you think you are capable... try it..

i hate to say this but it is EXTREMELY difficult to do that on your own.... for physics HL you need a teacher (and a good one), try to take outside tutoring. however, if you think you are capable... try it..

That's definately true, phisycs is extremely hard to do on your own, unless you're greek..., because of all the theory behind it. Chemistry is a little easier to get and Bio is just memorizing, but phisycs is just a class that is so important to get a good base on that, for example, MIT won't take anything less than a 7 on all Phisycs papers and an A on the class. But I know what you're talking about bad teachers, I have the same problem with my teacher as well. He teaches AP style, which is great, but is all math problems. The IB test doesn't have that much math to it, mostly theory. My feelings are that I will probably be able to use some math to solve the theory questions, but most of it I'm planning on studying on my own time. And this is only SL...

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for all the responses!

But I think I may have forgotten to add a detail. I'm taking all these classes SL this year (I'm a junior), testing out of one of them SL (scheduled to be bio right now), and then taking the remaining two HL next year (chem and phys). The only problem I'm running into now is Group 4 Proects x 3 >_<

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love Biology HL. I find it really simple and easy to get since it's basically just memorization.

I've heard that Chem HL is killer because most graduating students from my school didn't get their diplomas because of Chem HL D:

Personally, I prefer Bio more than Chem.

But It's really all depended on which learning style you prefer and which class would be more applicable in your future.