Anti-Procrastination Methods

Ashika

My biggest source of procrastination comes from browsing online and going thru all my "routines". Once you leave it alone for a few days you sort of escape from them altogether.

Haha, that usually happens when I go on holidays overseas, revise for exams, etc. But then I get back into my 'routines' at some point and it's as though I never got out of them!

It's sad.

Guest kostaiki

Hey,

i do this : go to sleep at 8pm and i get up 3-4 am

it really helps me because at 3 am theres nobody you can talk to and nobody who could disturb you :D so you kind of have to focus on your work

Guest shadesofgray626
Hey,

i do this : go to sleep at 8pm and i get up 3-4 am

it really helps me because at 3 am theres nobody you can talk to and nobody who could disturb you :lol: so you kind of have to focus on your work

I do that too! (Except I procrastinate until about 9 p.m., work for a few hours, get really tired and decide to go to bed.)

...- Lock your laptop in a drawer :lol:

- Uninstall MSN, one of my friend actually did this and she says she's finding everything so much easier

- Deactivate your damn facebook account

- Steer away from RSS feeds and blogs and (occasionally) forums...

I know that IB is meant to take away my life, but not my internet. :'( Please not my internet!

...Although, when it comes to procrastination, I must be among the worst of them.

I'll procrastinate hugely to get away from work, but I can recognize that I'm doing so. I end up forcing myself to do work, but then my body protests and I get a stomach ache. :)

When procrastination takes a physical form, you know you have to change habits.

I tried the 10min method but it didn't work because everytime 10 min passed I was all 'nooo, not now. I want to finish it' because i was by then very concentrated and then the break took a bit longer.

My biggest distraction is the computer. I almost wish i had a laptop and no wireless which meant I could write things on it, without being able to click on the internet and all.

...My biggest distraction is the computer. I almost wish i had a laptop and no wireless which meant I could write things on it, without being able to click on the internet and all.

That'd be torturous for me. :P

I'd sit there looking longingly at my internet connection box, hoping in vain that it would magically spring to life.

..Similar to holding sweets directly infront of a child, but yanking it away when they reach to claim it.

That'd be torturous for me. :P

I'd sit there looking longingly at my internet connection box, hoping in vain that it would magically spring to life.

..Similar to holding sweets directly infront of a child, but yanking it away when they reach to claim it.

Haha, that's the thing. It is torturous but still for a good thing. I mean, I'm able to focus at least on studying but I know that in cases like these, I still for some reason click on the wireless button now and then but in vain :)

the fact that wireless can capture, "borrow" internet from your neighbors is a bit of a problem...

not to mention that you HAVE to type it up, and HAVE to have it in MLA...darned perfectionists!!

Also there is no anti-procrastination method!! it just doesnt work:P

as a matter of fact, i get most work done in the first hours of the day the project is due(i.e 12am+)

its just the way it works

:P

I personally believe that it's a mere thing of discipline. We all don't like doing somethings, but we gotta do them regardlesss. I live an ascetic life daily school life, shuning away time that could be used for relaxing. Instead, I just gotta realize that work has to be done. I do my homework as soon as I get home, which is around 4. Afterwards, I relax and enjoy the rest of the day. I'm usually done by 7, which is when my favorite show Scrubs comes on, and if I have to review for a test or something, I study from 8 to 9. Then again, I have no social life and other stuff...

='[

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not that great at independent willpower, and as soon as I get home, I am immediately distracted by my computer, and the television.

For those reasons, I usually try to do as much of my homework at school as possible! I usually try to use the hour before classes begin, my spare period, and the hour after school to finish everything that I can. It's usually a pretty efficient method!

I like the work for X minutes then take a break but I try to work like 1 hour then take a break. Taking a break every 10 minutes seems to choppy for me.

I have to agree with your comment, working for twenty minutes then breaking for 10 seems WAY too fragmented, and the brain doesn't work like that. It can't just be turned on and off like a light switch. You usually start off on the surface and then you slowly think deeper and deeper about whatever it is that's your studying. I'm not sure that you can get very deep into whatever it is that you're studying if your thought process is continuously being interrupted.

It's weird, because as much as you try to not procrastinate, you will almost certainly do it (well at least, I do it).

I actually started being scared of Weekends, and long breaks, because the guilt at the end of the break is devastating.

I'm the exact opposite. I use all of my weekends and long breaks to get my big projects completed. (Got my History and Psychology Internal Assessment done over Christmas... excuse me I mean "Winter" Break.) That way I can sort of relax when school is in session and just concentrate on studying. I guess I'm just the type of person who likes to "get stuff out of the way." I can't truly enjoy myself when I know in the back of my mind that I still have work that needs to be done.

well i try to do that too.. like to complete all my IAs and stuff during weekends and holidays..

that 10 minute technique didn't work for me, i just can't concentrate so fast..

and as i see everyone has the same problem with internet. it is killing me! places like youtube should be banned, limited to two videos per day or something like that.. i trully believe that this would increase the overall IQ.. well at least all my assignments would be complete by now :D

I usually don't have a problem with procrastination (except for that Design Tech Project I don't have done...) but I could NEVER turn off my Internet or get rid of my computer because I do most of my homework on it. For me no computer = lost.

The only advice I have is to get started, go through the normal routine of checking a bunch of sites or whatever to clear your mind and then make yourself get to work. When you feel like you can't concentrate any more take ten minutes or whatever you can afford and then start again. It's all about will power and the need to get it done.