Anti-Procrastination Methods

Ashika

I switch on my computer and open both Firefox and the Word file of the paper I'm writing. I force myself to write a paragraph, then reward myself with a few minutes of web-surfing, and then write another paragraph, and surf some more. It's not really anti-procrastination, but I find myself much more motivated to work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can never trick my brain into systematically avoiding procrastination. I'm too self-aware, and too defiant to any coercion. What works for me (sometimes) is making myself enjoy the work I'm doing, but then I tend to work way too slowly. Other times, I just tell myself to "do it". When my brain feels like cooperating, this can work. But that's a rarity. :mellow:

That's why the night before was invented.

I hate having the feeling of knowing I have a really big assignment or test to do, so if I have time, I will usually at least make a start on it or I'll try to get most of it done so I can get it over and done with! I tried sticking with that sort of work ethic but it's hard when I have a lot of work to do and I also don't want to lose my social life! And sometimes I will just feel like doing absolutely no homework.

I try to do homework once I get home and whenever I get time to lessen the stress later on. Like sometimes I'll write up study notes if I have a bit of time and know I will have no time to do it later because of other assignments/tests.

Also I find that thinking about all the things I can do after I finish my work, the relief I'll get from finishing the work and knowing I won't have to think about doing it anymore gives me determination to do my work. It's a good incentive :)

• 2 weeks later...
Anti-procrastination - hmmz. I guess if I work in front of my folks, it helps cause it gets me away from the computer and makes sure I actually do the work (cause if I don't, they'll make me).

But that's to the extreme =P.

AURON

Yeah, the computer with internet access is in quite a busy area of the house, which a lot of the time stops me from procrastinating because my parents can see what I'm doing, and I get it done faster because there isn't much peace to be had. Any typing without internet I can do on a little beat-up laptop, in the quiet of my room.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend made me change her facebook and MSN passwords for her, and initially pleaded me not to tell her what i'd changed them to.

Now she calls me and screams at me to "stop being such a prick" and just tell her ;) I'm not giving in... now if only I had the determination to do the same thing!

Procrastination is so a disease. Everyone needs vaccines....and I think IB students are the most notorious. =)

The best method I've come across: turning the computer off. Completely. Not just the monitor. I think many will agree with me.

I also try to combat procrastination with schedules...which always turn out to be very tentative and subject to change.