Physics Options

Caitlin

Physics HL options  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Which Physics HL option are you doing/have done?

• Relativity
    • Medical physics
    • Particle physics
    • Astrophysics
    • Communications
    • Electromagnetic waves

Thought I would follow the trend and make one of these threads for poor, forgotten Physics. B)

My class is doing Biomedical Physics and Optics. I actually think there are a lot of fascinating options for Physics. I was reading through my textbook, and the one where people fly into outer space and age slower is really interesting. Not that I believe that it would actually happen. I don't care which genius came up with that theory, I refuse to believe it. Prove me wrong. :lol:

Mechanics! I actually enjoyed doing the derivatives of Mechanics Extension. And I dont enjoy Phys. Ever.

r u serious ?!!! these derivatives made me hate phys for a half of the last semester...., but now i love it back were doin electricity.. anyway we did optics in IB1 and this year were doin Biomed physics which i think are really interesting

• 4 weeks later...
i want to take physics HL but its not offered at my school

im just taking physics SL for now

am having same problem as urs but with math HL... but too bad... physics HL is really interesting, if it wasnt for some of the mechanics topics (which i still struggle with) i can say I LOVE IT....

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...it seems that Physics is a rather easy subject. Its a shame our IB physics teacher is lousy at his job and often presents material in tests we have never even seen before...

Wow...it seems that Physics is a rather easy subject. Its a shame our IB physics teacher is lousy at his job and often presents material in tests we have never even seen before...

Trust me, it certainly isn't. Actually, according to statistics provided by my school, it's at both SL and HL level its the hardest subject in the whole of IB. (Based on final scores)

edit:

Btw, some of you guys seem like you're actually picking your own options - don't you have to do the same option as everyone else in your class?

Edited by deissi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest surentripathi

Basically the theory goes that if you take two co-ordinates in space (actually two points in space are called events) then because of the way space behaves, it actually contracts around it. It was actually believed at one point that space was comprised of an actual substance, but since the earth moves in a constant velocity around the sun, this would imply that going through that material simply doesn't do anything i.e. it just contracts and acts as nothing, which was too confusing for me to follow.

Anyway, Lorentz came up with the Lorentz factor, that basically says that as you approach the speed of light, everything seems to slow down, so if you are on earth and you travel at 3/4 of the speed of light, at a star that is 1 ly away, the distance you travel would be: (3/4 of 1ly), using the same transformation if you will, time "Dilates" using the same factor, but with a slightly different equation, that is why if you actually went to the star traveling close to the speed of light, you wouldn't feel it going that fast, but if your sibling stayed on earth, when you came back, he would be much older than you. I can show you the actual equations later if you're really interested as the IB Physics course doesn't actually get in-depth with Lorentz transformations..

Salut!

Suren

Guest surentripathi

Not really i mean in my school most of the students are doing optics and relativity but i'm doing astrophysics and relativity, i guess the only thing is that your teacher has to be cool with you sort of teaching yourself the subject (my teacher is actually an astrophysicist) so he has no problems giving me classes apart from the rest of the class but you can do a completely random option on the exam if you want to cause the IB just says pick two so you do actually have the choice.