Physics Options

Caitlin

Physics HL options  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Which Physics HL option are you doing/have done?

• Relativity
    • Medical physics
    • Particle physics
    • Astrophysics
    • Communications
    • Electromagnetic waves

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Which is harder, relativity or communcations?

If you are really really good at Math Take Relativity but I find it confusing and harder than communication .. It's weird that a small number of student take Option F however it's really interesting and attractive to study !! therefore I encourage any one who studies ITGS or CS to take Communication beacuse it's easy and interesting with some equation to cope with unlike the relativity '!.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm the only person in my Physics class so I get to choose my options :D I'm taking particle physics (because I love it) and astrophysics (because I love it and I had to study the same topics for the Astronomy olympiad).

Let's see how the exams go on November... >_<

• 1 month later...

Hey guys how do you see medical physics?? is it hard?? it seems short but i am not sure about its content :/

I would like to ask the same thing. It's seems to be rather easy? At least in comparison to the option about astrophysics?

Which physics options should students who also take Chemistry HL do?

• 1 year later...

We have done electromagnetic waves and we have one more option left for HL. The class is thinking of choosing either between Relativity and Astrophysics and the teacher is fine with teaching both. Which one do you think has harder concepts to understand out of these two options? 

Harder concept? then it's definitely relativity!

Astrophysics has a lot of hard, long, & confusing calculations (such as analysis of spectrum). But astrophysics often involves memorization of easy concepts. On the other hand, relativity has really really hard concepts, and it takes quite a lot of time to accept this great and brilliant theory, especially when you have to find your way out of many paradoxes within relativity.

Besides, I don't feel like IB physics gives you a full understanding and appreciation of the theory of relativity. I mean, students don't even get to see the derivations of Lorentz transformation or the addition formula, making it hard for students to accept the theory.

If you love physics, and like to challenge yourself a little bit, then go with relativity! Otherwise, astrophysics is a much easier option.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, since I just finished the last exam a moment ago, I can say with some certainty that Communication is an easy Option topic for HL. And based on personal opinions, the EASIEST Option topic is Medical Physics. So if you're ever in a precarious situation where you have one week to learn an entire Option topic, then Medical Physics is the way to go. I know this because I have experienced it.

Edited by Excalibre

• 8 months later...

I wish my teacher would have picked Astrophysics or Engineering but sadly she went with Imaging.... to me it sounds kind of boring but she had to account for the SLs who take physics cause they arent science people.... therefore i need some suggestions... is Imaging super easy? (compared to other options) and is it worth doing another option for the interest factor rather than this topic for the 7?

• 2 weeks later...