7 in maths sl

givenchy

Hey Guys,

i'm currently taking maths sl and i have also considered switching to math studies ( i am bit lazy ) but then after many people told me that it does not look good on your college application i decided to stick to math sl.

Now my question how do i get a 7 in math sl ? I mean is it hard to get a 7 in it ? Will i be able to get a 7 when doing tons of past papers, or will it be just a good 6 ?

Who got a 7 and how did you study for it ?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I got a seven. I studied a lot.

- You have to have good scores on the coursework assignments. I found them very tricky, but I did quite well on them in the end.

- You have to understand the material. Make sure you know all the topics; go back and revise them frequently (like before every class test).

- You also have to know how to tackle the papers. Do lots of past papers! You should be aware of how much you need to write for each kind of question (short vs. long ones), and how much of your calculations you need to write out (most!). You should also be very familiar with the time allowed; never give yourself more than 1h30 to complete a paper (I'm almost certain that's the time limit... all these rules seem so obscure as soon as you're done with the IB!). Also make sure to not only do the past papers, but also go back with a mark scheme and see where you went wrong and what you need to go over again. You should aim to have enough time to go back over the exam after you're done as well; it may be good to skip questions you don't get so that you can get as many marks as possible on the rest. Then you're more likely to have enough time to go over those hard questions again and understand them better.

- Don't rely too much on your calculator, ever, but also know how to use it. You need to be able to get through a paper without a calculator, but there is also a paper where you can't pass without one. And sometimes they're a bit evil - I once got two marks docked off because I couldn't multiply 84 with 8 correctly - I got 674 instead of 672.

So the answer is "work hard". I put in quite some effort for maths, and I'm glad I did. In the end I'm one of ten people in my year who got a seven in Maths SL; we were around 45 people doing it.

Good luck!

I got a 7 in maths SL, the majority of my class did. I think around 80% of the class ended up with a 7 and the rest got 6 or 5, nobody got below that. But I think the May 2007 exam was easier than most, so that probably contributed to the high success rate in maths too.

We had a VERY good math teacher who made us do sooo many mocks, I ended up doing every past paper from 1998-2006, both May and November sessions to practice for my exam.

The syllabus has changed since I wrote it though, but I think it's definitely possible to obtain a 7 with lots and lots of practice.

• Like 1

Do you think it's possible for me, for example, to get a 7 on math if I solve the whole questionbank even though I'm no math genius? Because honestly I am worried because last year's exam was seriously hard (they got it on our mocks) and I'm sure I failed it. But I didn't study for it so it may be understandable. Do you think solving the whole questionbank could help though?

Do you think it's possible for me, for example, to get a 7 on math if I solve the whole questionbank even though I'm no math genius? Because honestly I am worried because last year's exam was seriously hard (they got it on our mocks) and I'm sure I failed it. But I didn't study for it so it may be understandable. Do you think solving the whole questionbank could help though?

If you remember it well enough and get lucky on the day I'm sure it's possible. I did the whole questionbank and got a 6 having been predicted a 4/5 -- AND I did last year's exam (which was pretty catastrophic for me in terms of how it went and how many questions I answered!). Apart from the odd mindblank where I totally forgot what bit you were meant to add/divide/whatever with which other bit.. and also how to differentiate... generally I'd say doing the questionbank really helped me. I'm sure you could do all of it and get a 7 without being a genius. In fact I think it's probably the only way to get the 7 without having a genuine mathematical ability of some description...

I got a 7 in SL maths last year (anticipated)

Maths.. ok maths isn't like english or history, you HAVE to grit your teeth down and study (ok i admit, maybe i just love english, but still).

STUDY STUDY STUDY

there's no shortcut to it. Just practice practice practice until you can instantaneously come up with an answer when you see a question in an exam because you've done something similar before!!!

Maths is the easiest subject to score well in (in my POV), it is so objective and so straightforward. In english, one thing can have so many different interpretations whereas one equation can only have one answer (or s).

Good Luck :P:(

• 2 weeks later...

It is certainly possible, but studying is required. What suprises me (especially with Maths HL Papers) is how much the content isn't actually over what we studied but more over how you go through the process. For example, it may ask you to find the area under the curve but you may have to know that the integral of l1/x is ln|x| or whatever.

Guest tahaqarni

Math SL at our school is often one of the subjects that we all do well on

all you need is a lot of practice before the exam, and as long as you understand hte main concepts, you should be set

To tell you the truth, its very easy to get a 7. You just have to make sure that you understand all the lessons given to you, day by day, and you have to do past papers frequently. In math SL, many questions are repeated, just with different wording and different numbers of obviously, so thats why doing past papers, and understanding them obviously, will easily get you a 7.

• 1 year later...

I got a 7 in SL maths last year (anticipated)

Maths.. ok maths isn't like english or history, you HAVE to grit your teeth down and study (ok i admit, maybe i just love english, but still).

STUDY STUDY STUDY

there's no shortcut to it. Just practice practice practice until you can instantaneously come up with an answer when you see a question in an exam because you've done something similar before!!!

Maths is the easiest subject to score well in (in my POV), it is so objective and so straightforward. In english, one thing can have so many different interpretations whereas one equation can only have one answer (or s).

Good Luck sad.gifsmile.gif

Did you take chemistry HL and Bio HL? If you did, how hard is it? I know it'll be hard but just in case. I'm going in pre IB and I want to take the diploma. Thanks :)

I agree with all of the people above, there are no shortcuts BUT the only thing that is good about maths is that you can study while listening to music thus making it extremly relaxing. To tell you the truth I have not gotten my 7 yet :P as I have not taken the final exam but I got 82/90 and 86/90 and 38/40 on portfolios. The only thing that could and might be a problem are the small mistakes (ex when multiplying matrices etc) otherwise everyone should be able to get a 7 in math SL.

PS In my Math SL class the grades of my mocks were all around 3-4 but its cuz most of the students are lazy the people who got highest grades on mocks were the once that took (as me) Math HL from year 1 and switched at the end to Math SL. Consider doing that as the diffrence between HL and SL maths is HUGE. We came to the conclusion that everyone should start with math HL and switch (if they needed) to SL later on.

GG Hf