How do I make a simple website?

BustinJieber

The layout I am looking for is a banner at the top, a sidebar, and a space for body text. For an example, go to one of my SIXTH GRADE (?!, please don't judge, I'm aware the color selection is terrible) projects here! http://www.odec.ca/projects/2006/wang6j2/

Unfortunately, this is for a research project, however, me and my partner lack any HTML skills or site design skills whatsoever! The tools we have access to are Adobe Dreamweaver CS3. That's about it.

The website you have as an example uses frames - just view the source code, and you can see that each "section" (header, sidebar, content) is actually in separate pages. Although frames seem to be a tidy solution (and they do still work), they're definitely not the best - but they're simple.

There are lots of tutorials for frames on the internet. Just search it on Google.

What I would recommend is the usage of divs instead of frames. But both work, and I personally started off with frames :(

And CSS is useful too: Cascading Style Sheets :( They are basically styling codes you put on a separate file (with the extension .css) that you link to from all your pages. It's great for consistency and the quick changing of colour schemes - instead of having to replace colours on every page, you only need to change the .css file. There are again many tutorials on the internet, but what I found most useful of all was visiting website I thought had nice designs and examining their codes through viewing the source :P

HTML is obviously the starting base, but it is really quite easy. It is basically tags which surround content, i.e. <b>this text would be bold</b>, and <p>this would be a paragraph</p>. Again, many tutorials online.

I personally don't like dreamweaver, but WYSIWYG editors are good for beginners, I suppose. However, heavy usage of them renders actual knowledge of basic HTML irrelevant... So troubleshooting would be virtually impossible. For good programs to code in, I recommend Notepad++. It has tabs and colours and line numbers and everything :D

Good luck! Making a website is one of the most enjoyable things I have ever done.

• Like 1