Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Work hard party harder

Hey people,

Just wanted to get a few minds together to see what we can come up with pertaining to the book (Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen).

I think Mrs. Bennet's behavoir is sometimes adorable but sometimes annoying too. Like when she's constantly gossiping and almost desperately tries to keep her daughters around the men SHE wants them to marry, almost regardless of what they want. What are your views?

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I agree about her behaviour, but its relevant to the time - it was very important then for young girls to be married to support themselves and their families.

Her personality contrasts with - and so emphasises - Elizabeth's character which is also very important to the story.

I love the book and the simple elegance of the love story, even though I think its a bit too simple at times :)

• 4 weeks later...

The book was okay otherwise once you understand it...

Agree. It wasn't as good as everyone said, but I had trouble understanding it and keep all the characters apart. However, if I had read it in one go and not leave it for several weeks, it might have been easier.

The problem with reading for your IB is that the books are often discussed per chapter, spanning ovr multiple lessons. For example, we discussed Pride and Prejudice in 3 months, sometimes doing 4 to 5 lessons on 1 chapter. By the time I finally finished the book, I'd forgotten most of the beginning. Onl after rereading the book for a second time I was able to write a proper essay about it.

What? Essays were a nightmare? No, don't say that, I'm doing my EE on it! Hhaha...Lol

What's everyone's view on this: do you think one can deduce roughly from how Austen writes what she thinks about love and what it is?

Don't try to do that, especially not from just one of her works. It's very dangerous to make judgments about an author based on one of her works because, while she certainly puts herself into it, the work isn't a reflection of her or her life unless it's semi-autobiographical or something. I hope that's not the focus of your EE. =)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did my IOP on the role of love in marriage in Pride and Prejudice. I could upload it if you like?

Hey Gerrit! Yes, please, that would be very helpful indeed! Thank you!

I was just wondering; you write your exams in 2011, next year that is...so how come your IOP is already done/prepared? :P

In my school it's semi-mandatory to do your IOP in the year before your final year. I'll upload it in a second.

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone,

As I've mentioned earlier, I'm doing my EE on Pride and Prejudice. I am of the opinion that the fact that the Bingley sisters do not approve of Elizabeth is actually foreshadowing because it hints us on the reactions of upper class society at large at Darcy's bond with Elizabeth. Is this okay? Because I do no want to put something in my essay that is factually incorrect.

Thank you,

Work hard party harder.

Anything in literature will always be factually correct as long as you provide the proper evidence i.e. extracts from the novel indicative of your opinion and/or analysis.

I think doing an EE on Pride and Prejudice is wonderful; you have so much to elaborate on and analyze, but the only way it will truly be interesting is if you are truly passionate in your analysis of the novel. Although your research question is good, my own personal opinion is...it's stating the obvious. I mean, maybe it's just me, but isn't that a fact everyone knows? How about bringing in something new and very interesting? For example, I read a sample English A1 EE essay that questioned the use of dance in Pride and Prejudice. It was very interesting as it provided a lot of insight; it showed that the person was truly excited and passionate about his or her research question. I think they got a full mark, and if not, then something very close to a full mark.

I personally hated Pride and Prejudice at first, until I gave it another try and I actually saw it had an abundance of literary devices that were so elegantly used. Maybe you should look that up very quickly; you might get an idea or two to refine/change your EE question.

Anything in literature will always be factually correct as long as you provide the proper evidence i.e. extracts from the novel indicative of your opinion and/or analysis.

I think doing an EE on Pride and Prejudice is wonderful; you have so much to elaborate on and analyze, but the only way it will truly be interesting is if you are truly passionate in your analysis of the novel. Although your research question is good, my own personal opinion is...it's stating the obvious. I mean, maybe it's just me, but isn't that a fact everyone knows? How about bringing in something new and very interesting? For example, I read a sample English A1 EE essay that questioned the use of dance in Pride and Prejudice. It was very interesting as it provided a lot of insight; it showed that the person was truly excited and passionate about his or her research question. I think they got a full mark, and if not, then something very close to a full mark.

I personally hated Pride and Prejudice at first, until I gave it another try and I actually saw it had an abundance of literary devices that were so elegantly used. Maybe you should look that up very quickly; you might get an idea or two to refine/change your EE question.

Thank you. :blum: Aah...I just finished my EE and I'm not sure I can change it. :blum: But thank you for the advice :P

Hey guys just one more question: Are titles like 'Introduction', 'main Body' and 'Conclusion' included in the word count? Also, when I use a quote, I add (author, page number of quote) after it. This, by Microsoft Word is counted as 2 words. Are these supposed to be included in the word count? The same question applies for the World Literature Essay. Thanks.

Hey guys just one more question: Are titles like 'Introduction', 'main Body' and 'Conclusion' included in the word count? Also, when I use a quote, I add (author, page number of quote) after it. This, by Microsoft Word is counted as 2 words. Are these supposed to be included in the word count? The same question applies for the World Literature Essay. Thanks.

Love P&P. :blum: I wish I had thought to do my EE on that lovely book! Regarding your question, those titles do count, but parenthetical citations do not. I think it is the same in the WL paper but I'm not entirely sure.