Language A1 by self-learning ?

Lylo

Hello.

Has someone aldeady taken correspondence course for a language ?

For next year, first year of IBDP, I'm taking HL SL French A1 by self-taught

In fact Indonesian is my mother tongue but after living 10 years in France, I'm going to move back to Indonesia this summer and I'm so far better in French than Indonesian. The head of the shool i'm going to next year proposed me this solution.

How does it work ? Is it difficult ? any suggestions ?

Edited by Lylo

Well, I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea... I'm taking French A1 too :') , but SL. My french teacher really sucks LOL, seriously I didn't learn ANYTHING from her those past two years... So if you consider yourself already good in french, then you don't need anything else from anyone (like teacher or something). So I totally encourage you to do so, though I don't know how you would do your internal assessments and stuff in such a situation :') .. You'll have to ask your school..

I do French A1 self-taught :') and I live in England. Note that you can only do A1 self-taught Standard level like any other self-taught subject. If your teacher could officially make it as though your in a french HL class despite being self-taught than you can get away with it. I would recommend standard. PM me anytime you want if you have questions about it.

Btw I lived in France 10 years too :') but my parents are Swedish and English.

HAHAHA, this is so funny! I think you got me wrong... what I meant to say was that if you are good in french, despite the fact that there are no french teachers in your school, then (I think) you can easily self-teach yourself... If not, then no. :')

And btw, i was talking about my crappy FRENCH teacher, not my lovely english one :) :')

xoxo

I think self-taught is part of the main 6...

also, about self-taught, suffice it to say that it's very hard. I know some native french speakers who have done it, and other natives who took french a2 instead, and the people at A1 did very bad (3-4) and the best at A2 was like 6. So if you're doing it, make sure you take it seriously, do homework, read widely, etc.

My school is big on self taught and I may take a self taught class myself. At my school the Korean A1 students did fine on their exams. I think that as long as you put forth the effort you would in any other class you will be okay. Though that is something to consider, you will not have a French teacher to motivate you or to help you with the assessments, which is always a positive. Overall though, it has to be based off of how important you think the subject is and how much extra work you feel you can accomplish as you will also be in charge of, essentially, the lesson plans also.

I am Korean but my school had only 2 Koreans and I was the only one who wanted to take Korean A1! So I self thought myself (and did so from 10th grade knowing that I would not have any time to do such crap during my 12th grade) and got a good grade.

I have lived in Belgium (wallonian part) for 5 years. Can speak French but I didn't as I don't like Languages. (although I have to admit that my French might be as good as my English... in terms of speaking. I am sure that my French writing is about Ab initio level. lol)