IB Physics videos on YouTube

MitchCampbell

I'm working on a few mechanics videos over the holidays. Hopefully in early January there will be a few things that can help you out. I'm going to do some about general mechanics, some with forces, and some HL stuff about 2D kinematics. (that was suggested on another forum). The springs may have to wait for waves. Unless you just want springs as in Hooke's law (F = kx) kind of stuff. That can be done quite quickly. The simple harmonic motion of a spring is an additional higher level topic that I am planning on doing later on.

Cheers,

Mitch

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow this is amazing! It will be so helpful during the revision period - I'm specifically having trouble with topic 5, 7 , 4 and 11 (my option). Actually I have trouble with Physics in general, so anything you put on youtube (except for the HL stuff, I'd rather not touch that, for fear of my brain exploding :P) will be greatly appreciated!! Again, thank you so much! It's a brilliant idea!

Edited by aya91

I'd like to see videos of "Topic 8: Energy, power, climate change" and "Topic 14: Digital technology". That would be great.

I'm quite surprised most people are requesting videos for mechanics and SL waves...I found those to be the easiest, in my opinion.

Anyways, thanks Mitch for doing this.

Edited by scstdnt

• 2 months later...

Excellent links and very good explanations. Thanks MitchCampbell!

I'm happy to help! I'm doing other videos as well, but there's only one of me, so it may take a little while. I'm currently working on Fields and Forces (SL and the HL extra stuff from Motion in Fields). However, it will probably be a few weeks before I'm done those. That means it'll be too late for those taking their Physics exams next week. However, this should help out students in their first year of IB. The idea is to have a full set of notes up online by August or so.

Cheers,

Mitch

• Like 4

Thank you, thank you!! These are very helpful!

I do have one question, if that's okay - just a clarification. I left it on the video (first one), but I'll post it on here too in case you don't see the video comment:

"I do have one question though: you say that light being a wave explains reflection, just like water does. But isn't water made up of water particles as well, which would explain why water waves reflect?"

Thank you!

Edited by hanniexx

Excellent links and very good explanations. Thanks MitchCampbell!

I'm happy to help! I'm doing other videos as well, but there's only one of me, so it may take a little while. I'm currently working on Fields and Forces (SL and the HL extra stuff from Motion in Fields). However, it will probably be a few weeks before I'm done those. That means it'll be too late for those taking their Physics exams next week. However, this should help out students in their first year of IB. The idea is to have a full set of notes up online by August or so.

Cheers,

Mitch

You are definitely awesome. Are you a teacher by any chance?

I am actually a teacher. I've been teaching IB Physics and Math for a 4 years, but I've taken two years off to study full time. I always told my students they should be life-long learners, and I figured I should practice what I preach! For a long time I've wanted to do an M.Sc. in Astrophysics, so that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm half way through now, and I love it! I'm at the Niels Bohr Insitute's Dark Cosmology Center. It's really interested stuff.

It's amazing, though, how much I miss teaching. That's why I'm doing these videos. The idea is to help out as many students as possible. By next year, I'd like to have a complete set of videos for a whole Physics SL or HL class, as well as Math SL, Studies, HL. This unfortunately will be too late for those of you taking your exams in the next few days, but hopefully it will help out people next year.

Good luck with your exams! Just remember, don't leave anything blank on paper 1 (try to narrow answers down if you can). For paper 2 Question A1, it's almost always an unfamiliar question - don't panic - they normally want you to just look at a graph and interpret the results. Being good at Linearization is really helpful there (being able to look at an equation and figure out what should be graphed against what to make it a straight line graph). My 6th video shows how to do that.

Cheers,

Mitch

• Like 3

I am actually a teacher. I've been teaching IB Physics and Math for a 4 years, but I've taken two years off to study full time. I always told my students they should be life-long learners, and I figured I should practice what I preach! For a long time I've wanted to do an M.Sc. in Astrophysics, so that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm half way through now, and I love it! I'm at the Niels Bohr Insitute's Dark Cosmology Center. It's really interested stuff.

It's amazing, though, how much I miss teaching. That's why I'm doing these videos. The idea is to help out as many students as possible. By next year, I'd like to have a complete set of videos for a whole Physics SL or HL class, as well as Math SL, Studies, HL. This unfortunately will be too late for those of you taking your exams in the next few days, but hopefully it will help out people next year.

Good luck with your exams! Just remember, don't leave anything blank on paper 1 (try to narrow answers down if you can). For paper 2 Question A1, it's almost always an unfamiliar question - don't panic - they normally want you to just look at a graph and interpret the results. Being good at Linearization is really helpful there (being able to look at an equation and figure out what should be graphed against what to make it a straight line graph). My 6th video shows how to do that.

Cheers,

Mitch

That's awesome. Good luck with your studies. Thanks for the tips and the amazing videos.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Oh, I really love you man, no joke.

I think that for my class, sight and wave phenomena was the hardest. This year, a lot of people bombed it, and I heard last year's graduating class averaged %40 on that section. Many people had trouble understanding tension, though we didn't lose too many marks on that. I think those were the most difficult sections for our class (from my limited viewpoint and assumptions).

Edit: damnit who changed my post. I should be allowed to call people ballers if I want to, even if they're teachers. It's a compliment, guys.

Edited by Grumps