IB Physics videos on YouTube

MitchCampbell

(Edited Nov 28, 2014)

I've been making a huge series of IB Math SL and Physics SL/HL videos on Youtube.

You can see my channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/CampbellMitch

I've made a series of playlists for the different topics.

***Keep in mind, I'm using the syllabus for students taking their IB exams this May (May 2015). Those who have their exams in May 2016 and beyond are on the 'new' syllabus, and I'll be reorganizing all my playlists this summer to reflect this. Nearly all of the videos will still be useful, they'll just be rearranged in the new syllabus.

Topic 1 and 2: Mechanics
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6145CFE556385A9A

Topic 3: Thermal Physics

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6LH0ngwf3Huf8Iy8m-0ogpbfYQ4Dhk9x

Topic 4: Oscillations and Waves

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6LH0ngwf3HsIMQS7KP5Tzqkgt2VZkUc2

AHL Topic 13 and Physics SL Option B: Quantum physics and nuclear physics

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL472372EE886A5E32

Option E: Astrophysics (includes the SL and the HL portions)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6LH0ngwf3HszB51I_BYybPd07IWR-RRp

I hope you find these helpful. I'm always happy to hear your comments and suggestions.

Cheers, Mitch

Edited by MitchCampbell
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Hello, this is exactly what i have been looking for, i am not very confident with physics but i do love the subject. I was going to ask because some topics i am confused with are topics 3, 10, 4 and 11. Thanks for all of your effort i will get onto revising straight away using these videos, thank you. Could you please include some example questions at the end which people can try to pause the video and try themselves?

Thanks, Help is greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello! I am currently near the end of the third semester of my IB Physics class. Our class is in need of help and (even though I know this is quite a lot to ask) would appreciate if you could finish the SL section. I know this cannot be done without time, but the first one we would need would be the atomic and nuclear physics. Option A would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• 10 months later...

Thank you for your video. They are very helpful for me. At my IB school, I'm the only one who does ib physics, so they don't provide mme any classes on HL materials. So I was wondering can you somehow cover the HL parts of the syllabus in details, such as the carnot engine in thermal physics.

Thank you so much.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your video. They are very helpful for me. At my IB school, I'm the only one who does ib physics, so they don't provide mme any classes on HL materials. So I was wondering can you somehow cover the HL parts of the syllabus in details, such as the carnot engine in thermal physics.

Thank you so much.

I'm working on some videos for IB Physics HL soon, but not sure if I'll get to carnot engine in time for you. I just put up (today) some videos for Math SL - vectors. You can see them in the post I did in the Math SL forum. Good luck with your studies!

-Mitch

• 3 years later...
On 12/9/2009 at 10:02 AM, MitchCampbell said:

Update (May 2014) - Added all of topic 3: Thermal Physics

I've been an IB teacher for many years, and enjoy helping out more than just my own students.

With this in mind, I am working on a series of free videos on my own studynova website (they are all free there, plus you can get all the notes I make), but am also mirroring them on Youtube. These videos are about specific topics within the IB Physics SL or HL curriculum. So if there are specific topics that you'd like to see done in detail with lots of examples, just post it in this thread. I'll take a look and see if there is any overwhelming consensus on any topics, and then start doing videos on those ones. I can go over an entire topic or just focus on a specific area within a topic.

Just post your request and I'll see what I can do. Keep in mind there's only one of me, so I will do topics that have overwhelming request for them. I'm finally done with my M.Sc. in Astrophysics, so I have more time to devote to videos. Below, you'll see a list of the topics, and the ones I've done so far will be in bold. If I don't get to your request right away, just be patient. I'll get to as many as I can. tongue.gif

So far, I have done Topic 2 (Mechanics), Topic 13 (Quantum and Nuclear) - this one is also an SL option, and Option E (Astrophysics). The Astrophysics option I did for the entire SL and HL, so it's relevant for all of you.

How do you get to the videos on youtube? Just click on the link below - it goes to my youtube channel. From there, click on the different playlists that are relevant to you. 

http://www.youtube.com/user/CampbellMitch

I wrote my own astrophysics syllabus and put up videos for that as well. For those, I added things that are NOT on the current IB syllabus, although I've been working with the IBO on the new syllabus that will come out in 2014. They said they'll be using the new stuff. Hurray!

-Mitch

Physics SL and Physics HL topics (core: everyone needs these topics)

Topic 1: Physics and physical measurement (measurement, uncertainties, vectors, scalars)
Topic 2: Mechanics (kinematics, forces, work, energy, power, circular motion)
Topic 3: Thermal Physics (temp, internal energy, heat, specific heat capacity, phase changes)
Topic 4: Oscillations and waves (simple harmonic motion, forced oscillations, resonance, wave characteristics, wave properties)
Topic 5: Electric currents (electric potential difference, current, resistance, electric circuits)
Topic 6: Fields and forces (gravitational-, electric-, and magnetic forces and fields)
Topic 7: Atomic and nuclear physics (atom, radioactive decay, nuclear reactions, fission, fusion)
Topic 8: Energy, power, climate change (energy degradation, power generation, world energy sources, fossil fuels, non-fossil fuels, greenhouse effect, global warming)

Physics HL topics (additional higher level that SL students don't need)

Topic 9: Motion in fields (projectile motion, gravitational field, potential, and energy, electric field, potential, and energy, orbital motion)
Topic 10: Thermal Physics (thermodynamics, thermal processes, second law of thermodynamics, entropy)
Topic 11: Wave phenomena (standing waves, Doppler effect, diffraction, resolution, polarization)
Topic 12: Electromagnetic induction (induced emf, AC current, transmission of electrical power)
Topic 13: Quantum physics and nuclear physics (De Broglie, Heisenberg, Bohr, Schroedinger, half-life and decay constant alpha)
Topic 14: Digital technology (analogue and digital signals, data capture, CCD)

Options that I'm also considering doing:

SL only – most of these are almost identical to HL topics above:
Option A: Sight and Wave Phenomena
Option B: Quantum and nuclear Physics
Option 😄 Digital Technology

For both SL and HL (HL has extra stuff)
Option E: Astrophysics (introduction to the universe, stellar radiation and types, distances, cosmology).

**I added extra astrophysics information that is NOT on the IB syllabus - it covers black holes, dark matter, astrobiology and exoplanets, and it is a separate playlist.

For only HL:
Option H: Relativity (special relativity, relativistic kinematics, momentum and energy, general relativity basics)

Very interesting, thank you!