Type II -- Population Trends in China

Karl H T

Hey! I'm working on this IA right now and I have a couple of questions I hope you guys could help me clear up. For the question: What types of functions could model the behaviour of the graph? I put the data into excel and got a 6th polynomial function to fit the best, however, the cubic function behaves more like a population would (the 6th polynomial drops at the very beginning and then goes up, which a population would not do) therefore the cubic function would be a more correct function to use...Just would like to know if I'm at least heading in the right direction with my thinking :P Also, for when it says "analytically develop" does that mean I have to logically explain why it would be the particular function that I chose? (kind of what I did in the first part of my post) Or does it mean something else? Thanks!!!

So how did you do it in the end? :hmmm:

• 4 weeks later...

For the question "What types of functions could model the behaviour of the graph? Explain your choices" I'm planning on using the cubic function and 6th polynomial function, would this be enough functions to use? Also how do I graph the cubic function in excel??

Please help, thank you :D

• 3 months later...

help!

suppose i choose to develop a cubic model, how do i justify my choice? like why did i chose this particular type of function instead of say, a quadratic function model

also, can you develop more than one model? for example if the first one doesn't fit the data points too well. Like if i first develop a linear model but then say that it isn't too accurate so i start developing another model (cubic?) or should i just develop one and stick to it